Problems with Bachmann Class 105

James Brake

I’m having some running issues with a DC powered Bachmann Class 105. I’ve taken it to a local model shop for repair, the repair was (apparently) completed, but the running issue still remains. The unit is very jerky when running at anything less than full power. It fails to restart from station stops without prodding. This is not a problem that I have experienced with any of my other locomotives (including other Class 105s, Class 03s & even a tiny permanent way trolly). I think the problem may be the lack of pick-ups on the power bogie. If I place the DMBS on the track, lift up the non-powered bogie so that only the motorized bogie is in contact with the rails and apply current, nothing happens. The pick ups on the non-powered bogie seem to work fine, as do the ones on the DTC. I’ve tried this with my other Class 105s and the motor runs fine. How would I go about installing pickups on the power bogie? Failing that, is it possible to electrically connect the motor with the pick-ups on the dummy power car (this was something I’ve seen done with the old Hornby Pacer to alleviate running problems)? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by James Brake

• RMweb Premium

The trailer has pinpoint axle current collection on both bogies - for the internal and end lights - so connecting up the trailer and DMBS should involve nothing more than adding wiring between the two if you want to do it that way. Expo tools sell fine black wire which is nice and small and very flexible but strong using a multi-strand core

I've actually made sprung wire connectors that press against each other when the two are coupled together. Mine has sound c/o Digitrains/Paulibanger along with a stay-alive and the joining of the two is just a kind of belt and braces approach.

However, the motor bogie should be collecting power, and I'd want to sort that first myself, because they are only wiper pickups on the back of the wheels. Perhaps they just need adjusting.

Izzy

Since you are not using DCC, you could run a pair of wires between the cars, soldered to the DCC socket blanking plugs. The three commoned pins each end of the blanking plug should be connected to the matching commoned pins in the other vehicle.

The pick up assembly on the power bogies is pretty robust and you can quickly test continuity. The pick up from the split axles is via bearing collars which connect to a projecting contact which goes up through the floor of the vehicle and has a flat spring bearing on top of it. From that flat spring the connection is to a printed circuit board set in the floor of the vehicle on which the DCC socket is also mounted, you want to test that there is continuity along this path.

To get easy access, undo the power bogie pivot screw, and it will drop out of the chassis. You have to fiddle around re-engaging the drive shaft between motor and worm when replacing it, a little fiddly rather than difficult.