Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Baseboard surface to supporting frame - Pin & glue?

Tony Davis

I have built the supporting frame for my 60" x 36" layout and I am intending to pin and glue the surface plywood. I remember my old woodwork teacher telling the class that pins or screws were only to hold the wood in place while the glue set. So, before I go ahead, has anyone had an experience which contradicts this advice?

Thanks,

Tony

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Tony Davis said:

I have built the supporting frame for my 60" x 36" layout and I am intending to pin and glue the surface plywood. I remember my old woodwork teacher telling the class that pins or screws were only to hold the wood in place while the glue set. So, before I go ahead, has anyone had an experience which contradicts this advice?

Thanks,

Tony

Spot on. If the surface is one large piece then pinning or screwing is probably the best way to bring the parts into contact. The alternative methods: Weights need to be very heavy to compress a large piece of ply and cramps won't reach into the middle.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 1