RMweb

Leeds LMC coach temptation

Bassettblowke

I’ve been watching three LMC coaches on eBay and was tempted at the start price but they soon accelerated beyond the range of my pocket. One of them wasn’t too bad but the other two were pretty grim and nicely illustrate some of the issues to be encountered with vintage stock. Woodworm and Zinc pest have both been at work and I would only salvage parts from the two afflicted coaches.

12B71685-BF4C-457D-A25A-1109C6B81A24.jpeg

9092D18E-F950-45CA-9078-99B7271E619C.jpeg

C2CF112E-D6CA-41B6-B136-AADAD08921B4.jpeg

AE138AEC-7042-4C47-A516-479CDA69C8A8.jpeg

87A183D5-12E5-45A8-9563-DD70716A6248.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I agree not the sort of house guest you would welcome,  I wouldn’t have paid what they were eventually sold for,  my view being they were only worth the value of the sum of salvageable parts. 
I can also visualise lying awake at night waiting for the first tell tale hole to appear in the apparently unaffected coach or even worse the Chippendale toilet seat I bought for a snip from some fella in Shenzhen

Edited by Bassettblowke

I had lost the link to the Zincpest cure. It's in Italian I'm afraid.

http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/Tecnica/Peste_Zama_cura/Curare_peste_zama.htm

Unfortunately it uses a rather nasty chemical, which may be difficult to obtain and proper Araldite (or similar) which needs curing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene

Edited by Il Grifone
finger trouble

Here’s another three in one of my favourite liveries only to be bettered by the LMS livery which I am led to believe is essentially the same with LMS blotting out the midland in the small black panel. Again listed on eBay and not exactly cheap. I was initially quite interested in them until I realised someone had gone to the trouble of cutting out all the windows. Two other coaches also listed at the moment one a Bakelite GWR in poor condition with missing window frets and disintegrating bogies yours for a paltry £149 and another substandard one for £25. Some of these sellers must be getting high on the fumes from disintegrating Mazak 

7E162B23-501D-4DA2-8003-9116B8850D23.jpeg

Edited by Bassettblowke