Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Military vehicle loading

Jim Martin

This is a bit niche, but I know that some RMWebbers have a military background, so I'm hoping someone can answer this.

Can the FV180 Combat Engineer Tractor be moved by rail in the UK? If so, can it be moved on a warflat or does it need a warwell? How is the anchor moved - is it loaded into an accompanying wagon? Finally, how is the bucket end tied down: there seem to be lashing points built into the bucket itself and also higher up on the hull?

In a similar vein, can the TPz Fuchs 1 be moved by rail in the UK? They're pretty wide, which suggests not, but not as wide as a Warrior; and Warriors can loaded onto a warwell, as long as the special frame is fitted.

Thanks a lot in advance

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin

On 04/11/2020 at 22:44, exet1095 said:

I’ve never worked with CET but the Fuchs is probably ok to load onto rail. (Having used them in the JNBCR on Telic in 2003, and with the RY in the 1990s. There’s probably a loading manual somewhere; I’ll ask around.

Paul

Many thanks! I've got an assortment of CVR(T) types from PG Models to use as loads on warwells and warflats; and the NGS commissioned a Scimitar (also from PG Models) which I'll be buying some of as well. I was looking for something not available ready-built for a bit of variety, and those two vehicles suggested themselves. I'd probably have gone with a PG DROPS load carrier if PG hadn't ceased trading.

To be honest, the Fuchs looks like it would be a whole lot easier to scratchbuild in 1/148 scale than the CET!

Jim

• Like 1

Jim,

our CVRTs used to be hidden in ISOs for transport most of the time! But they do appear on wagons in pictures too. It’s a great test for the person guiding, getting the Spartan into the box. 

if you’re modelling German HO, then I remember seeing a Guards 432 fall off the side of a warflat in Münster in 1987. A tiny steering correction that wasn’t tiny enough! 

it’s always worth thinking about what is being moved, and why? A 1980s-1990s armoured recce squadron would have three troops of Scorpion and/or Scimitar, four per troop. It would have an SHQ of three Sultans, an Light Aid detachment (LAD)  with at least one Samson, and a Samaritan ambulance too. To support this, there would be the rest of the LAD with a couple of Bedfords, and maybe an AEC Militant or Foden wrecker. The SQMS would have several Bedfords, including some fuel vehicles (UBREs - known as “Pods”). Finally, the SSM would have a Ferret Scout Car. 

The B (non-armoured vehicles) would be more likely to go by road, as they were not limited by track mileage. Having said that, I drove from Catterick to Westminster in a Sultan one cold Sunday in 1993.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your models,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

Interesting stuff.

thats probably why it’s easier to model an Ashchurch load , than the whole shebang being moved elsewhere.

I remember the model rail article about military trains, they rolled a tracked vehicle off a warflat at redmire and down a hill into a field, there was a picture.

Also  interesting that some of the CVR went inside containers - I’d never thought of that .

11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Interesting stuff.

thats probably why it’s easier to model an Ashchurch load , than the whole shebang being moved elsewhere.

I remember the model rail article about military trains, they rolled a tracked vehicle off a warflat at redmire and down a hill into a field, there was a picture.

Also  interesting that some of the CVR went inside containers - I’d never thought of that .

During the Balkan crisis, which coincided with the debut of the Channel Tunnel, there was at least one train of anonymous 40' containers, carrying 'Scimitar' or similar light tanks.

The 'rapid unloading' exercise at Redmire occured during the press-launch for the new facility; most of the photos (and video) came from a Tyne Tees OB crew. It may have been the same one who got the video of a transport minister saying how the A19 was perfectly safe, as a pair of cars collided behind him...

• Like 2