Rail/Sleeper Goods Yard Fence.

Miserable

I'm sure I remember a siding in a goods yard (might have been UKF at Andover, early 80s) that had forklift activity. To prevent the forklifts fouling adjacent lines there was a 'fence' made of sleeper uprights, I seem to recall, with one or maybe two lengths of rail fixed to them forming a substantial barrier. The sort if thing they use armco for these days. Would any one happen to have a photo, or link to one, so I can see how it 'works'? Or failing that, does anyone make 7mm armco?

• RMweb Gold

There was a very similar fence to what you describe between Windsor Road and Long Dyke marshalling yard in Cardiff, and also at the Clarence Road terminus in Cardiff's Docklands.  I was involved many years ago with a club model of Clarence Road, and built the fence that separated the railway from the adjoining street.  I used wooden sleepers which IIRC were sold to make up up C & L track, and plastic strip to represent the longitudinal battens; the uprights were cut from C & L bullhead rail, which was avaialable as offcuts as this was the standard for the layout.  It was a pleasant task, nice to be building a model out of the same components as the realy thing, and I had much fun in leaving gaps, or damaged sleepers and so forth.  The finished fence was varnished and weathered by being left outside to bleach; it was all quite effective!  The Windsor Road fence was still extant then, but was disintegrating...

I would imagine this task to be easier to source materials for and even more fun in 7mm; you could probably correctly bolt the components together!

• Like 1

Don't forget to drill the holes for the chairs to match the local pattern. Sometimes the ends of the sleeper would be trimmed off at an angle to prevent water accumulating and soaking into the end grain. Being heavy items set by eye they were not quite perfectly level, though not far away.

2 hours ago, doilum said:

Don't forget to drill the holes for the chairs to match the local pattern. Sometimes the ends of the sleeper would be trimmed off at an angle to prevent water accumulating and soaking into the end grain. Being heavy items set by eye they were not quite perfectly level, though not far away.

I can use the sleepers from one end of a yard of Peco bullhead track, the first two sleepers on each length (or at least the ones I have) have no bolts in the chairs, just holes ;-)

Edited by Miserable

On 06/11/2020 at 21:35, The Johnster said:

What's with the username, mate?  Things can't be that bad surely (and this is from someone who tends to gravitate to the gloomy side). 

There is a reason : it's a moniker/persona I've 'acquired' from my musical efforts, mostly blues:-)

• RMweb Gold

World's shortest blues song; 'Well, I didn't wake up this morning;'.  To quote Bleeding Gums Murphy's comment to Lisa, 'the blues ain't about bein' miserable, the blues is about making other people miserable, and getting them to pay you for it...'!  I'm a John Lee Hooker fan myself, 'hold your head down under the water/see them bubbles comin' up'.  Very dark.

• Like 1