Ramsey (Cambridgeshire) in OO by Ely & District MRC - The Video

andykwilkinson

Hi all,

The video I've just completed features my Club's (Ely & District MRC) 4mm scale layout based on Ramsey in Cambridgeshire.  The model is a "might have been" and assumes the LNER joined both the termini that actually existed: Ramsey East - on the line from Somersham Junction; and Ramsey North - on the line from Holme. A number of the buildings on the model were based on prototypes from Ramsey and surrounding area to give it that fenland feel. The station building is based on Earith Bridge as we could not find a decent picture of one of the Ramsey station buildings at the time construction started - a few years ago now!  The layout could be exhibited in either 1950's or modern image format thanks to some replaceable buildings and sub-baseboards (and stock availability!)

I created the video as a swansong to the layout as it's just been retired and sold to a Club member who lives in North Yorkshire.  We needed more space in the Clubroom as we're finishing our large Wickham Market in OO and will soon start Framlingham...well, as soon as we're able to meet regularly again that is!  We also have a large N gauge layout in the Clubroom too.

Some of you will have seen my other YouTube videos on our (and others) layouts, such as Thurston OO, Stoney Middleton (7mm NG) and I also produced the DVD for the mightily impressive Grantham OO layout (a short 'promo' for it is on YouTube).  If you enjoy this, have a look at those too.

Stay well - and keep modelling! Andy

• Like 10

The railway branches to Ramsey intrigued me - why were they never connected in real life? The rather complicated history of them, described in the Oakwood Press book, explains that.

One of my uncles was stationed at RAF Upwood in the 1960s, and stayed on in Ramsey after he left the RAF. I visited a few times. The Holme-Ramsey line was still open when I first went, though I never saw a train moving on it. And I walked some of the route of the Ramsey East branch.

I like the models of real Ramsey buildings on the layout.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that. Had a chuckle re Graham Varley Motorcyles as he built all the kit stock on my own layout. We lived in Newmarket and my kids went to school in Soham so Turners artic’s were an everyday sight.

Please pass my regards to Graham.

25 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Thanks for posting that. Had a chuckle re Graham Varley Motorcyles as he built all the kit stock on my own layout. We lived in Newmarket and my kids went to school in Soham so Turners artic’s were an everyday sight.

Please pass my regards to Graham.

Will do - not seen Graham for a few months...so you've given me an excuse to see how it's going!

• Thanks 1