RMweb

Trailing truck derailment issues - please help

So I recently bought an O Gauge Hattons Originals A3 and A4 as they were in the sale. Both safely arrived and both run beautifully right out of the box.  I only have a 20ft length of test track currently which has a Y point at the mid point.  The A4 operates faultlessly.  The A3 does except over the point where no matter how you travel across it the Trailing truck under the cab details every single time.  I disconnected the tender to try the tender on its own across the point and it navigates it without fault. The engine has no issues until the trailing truck hits the point. I’ve compared the A3 with the A4 and I see no difference at all in the way the trailing truck is built or operates yet one stays on the point every time and the other derails every time?????

please can anyone advise what’s happening? 

thanks

Simon

1 minute ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Simon, just remove the spring. Mine A3 did the same and this cured it.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Adrian. I’m not overly clued up with this kind of thing. What is the purpose of the spring then and why would it be fine on the A4 yet an issue on the A3? 

• RMweb Gold

The spring was designed to ensure the pony truck wheels maintained a good pressure on the track and so in theory would ride well. But it seems just to have created a problem. Others have found the same thing as you and I. Once removed the pony truck rides fine with no derailmets.

I have not bought an A4 (yet...:D)

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson