RMweb

Hayling Branch - how were locomotives watered?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

How were locomotives watered on the Hayling branch?

While skimming through various photos of the Hayling branch I noticed that none seems to show a water tower.  On looking at some of the plans and maps there were none marked there either.  I know that branch locos could be watered at the end of the bay at Havant, and there are a number of photos of locomotives by the crane.  But was the water from a tower, or from a direct connection to a water main?  Also, at the terminus or the branch, were there any watering facilities to compliment the provision of locomotive coal?

As ever, thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

As the book that @2251 has linked to notes, the only watering facility was at Havant, although there was a supply at the loco shed initially provided at South Hayling, but that closed in 1893 and the water supply subsequently removed; the familiar coaling stage was retained, but in a different location. There was a "parachute" type water tank behind the signal box, alongside the Hayling branch, but I don't think it had an arm, and was just for storage.  I don't know when it dates from, but it only starts appearing on the1932 OS map. It is interesting to note that, because of the lack of room in the bay sidings, the water crane, although of LBSC origin, looks like the LSWR style, with only a column with a bend at the top, and a canvas pipe to fill the tanks.

Edited by Nick Holliday
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks, folks, for your responses.

My own online searches had failed to yield anything beyond the crane at Havant, and photos of locomotives posed beside larger sized tanks.

Zomboid - humour appreciated.

2251 - I've seen that booklet before but had never noticed the background of the image on page 26.  Many thanks for pointing it out.

Nick - many thanks for the background details.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.