Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

12 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm tempted not to bother putting any brick paper on that side, but I'm not sure my conscience will let me get away with that...

I figure that there's a chance of forward-facing photos being taken sometime over my layout's (and my) lifetime, so the backs of things will be treated.

Backs also give you a place to practice before doing the fronts.

• Agree 4

Progress is progress. It's all looking good. I had a similar crisis of conscience with my layout. The exposed bits of brickwork at the rear of the ramps is modelled,, as is the back wall of the station buildings.

I know it's there and I just might find a way to take photos from the other side of the layout at some point!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Operation PLATFORM marches (slowly) on.  The ply has now been screwed to the baseboard, and I've installed the facing wall on the viewer's side.  Hopefully I'll get the wall on the far side installed tomorrow.  I'm tempted not to bother putting any brick paper on that side, but I'm not sure my conscience will let me get away with that...

I was pleased that I managed to get the wall in without destroying any of the point rodding 🙂

IMG20220428223037.jpg.483404b4a3d503590eb52c5dafffe36e.jpg

Lovely - its amazing how much further along it all looks with that platform there. Is that  a Dean Goods pulling the wagons?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, aardvark said:

Backs also give you a place to practice before doing the fronts.

Indeed, that's a very good idea.  And one I failed to put into practice here!  Fortunately the platform still looks ok to my eye in the cold light of day.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Progress is progress. It's all looking good. I had a similar crisis of conscience with my layout. The exposed bits of brickwork at the rear of the ramps is modelled,, as is the back wall of the station buildings.

I know it's there and I just might find a way to take photos from the other side of the layout at some point!

Well you know how this is going to turn out, don't you?  There's no way I'll be able to live with knowing that I've cheated - so the hidden face of the wall will no doubt be covered in brick paper.  It doesn't take long to do anyway!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Lovely - its amazing how much further along it all looks with that platform there. Is that  a Dean Goods pulling the wagons?

It's the Dukedog actually Andy.  Nice little loco.  

Please don't talk to me about my Dean Goods...  I got one from Oxford Rail last summer and it runs like a three-legged dog.  Long sessions on the rolling road (where it seems to run smoothly enough) haven't helped; nor has a reset of the decoder.  I've cleaned wheels and pick-ups - which it also has on the tender - and also cleaned and then re-oiled the axles.  It still jerks along the track horribly.  So for now it's back in the display case on the wall until I feel inclined to strip the keeper plate off and have another go at it.  If that doesn't work I might try a new decoder.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Please don't talk to me about my Dean Goods...  I got one from Oxford Rail last summer and it runs like a three-legged dog.  Long sessions on the rolling road (where it seems to run smoothly enough) haven't helped; nor has a reset of the decoder.  I've cleaned wheels and pick-ups - which it also has on the tender - and also cleaned and then re-oiled the axles.  It still jerks along the track horribly.  So for now it's back in the display case on the wall until I feel inclined to strip the keeper plate off and have another go at it.  If that doesn't work I might try a new decoder.

Unfortunately your experience is quite common...

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It's the Dukedog actually Andy.  Nice little loco.  

Ah! now I look closer I see that. I too have a Dukedog which runs very well (mine is Bachmann). I also have an Oxford Rail Dean goods in its box but have not really given it much of a go. I now wonder how it will perform - I will let you know.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Graham T said:

There's no way I'll be able to live with knowing that I've cheated - so the hidden face of the wall will no doubt be covered in brick paper.  It doesn't take long to do anyway!

It's only cheating until you invoke Rule #1 🙂.

And it's surprising home many of the things we spend ages, often repeatedly, justifying to ourselves take very little time to put right.

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Ah! now I look closer I see that. I too have a Dukedog which runs very well (mine is Bachmann). I also have an Oxford Rail Dean goods in its box but have not really given it much of a go. I now wonder how it will perform - I will let you know.

Andy

Mine is the Bachmann model too, and I'm very pleased with it.  I'll be interested to hear how your Dean Goods performs; as @Harlequin mentioned, they seem to have a rather bad reputation...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 25/04/2022 at 22:15, Andy Keane said:

Graham

there seem to be lots but this one seems good and not too long:

Andy

That is a good video, which led, as it sometimes does, to another.  So, with apologies to Graham T for hijacking his thread ...

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Well you know how this is going to turn out, don't you?  There's no way I'll be able to live with knowing that I've cheated - so the hidden face of the wall will no doubt be covered in brick paper.  It doesn't take long to do anyway!

Exactomundo.

So why skimp? 

You answered your own question, probably before you even asked it.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've now cut some 2mm card for the next layer of the platform.  I'll wrap some brick paper around the edges, so represent the corbelling, and then a 1mm layer of plasticard will go on the top of that.  Probably a tarmac/gravel surface on that, with edging slabs.  Not quite sure how to do the slabs yet, I'm leaning towards very thin card cut into sections and then glued on individually.  One thing I'm still unsure of is what the surface would be on the end ramp - need to look at some photos I think.

IMG20220429180249.jpg.8db408731be1398e403f76c7964b7738.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

The scored strip of plasticard seems to work well for the edging slabs - the scoring carried over the edge. A lot quicker to lay than individual flags, as per @Droe96 .

Yes I think that's probably the way ahead.  Individual slabs might well drive me crazy!  (Crazier...)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The corbelling is all done - not that you can see it in these photos, but I know it's there.  And it is more apparent from NVD (normal viewing distance if you haven't been keeping up!)

And the 1mm sheet of plasticard is now in place for the top surface of the platform.  I've only glued it down around the edges, the plan being that when I come to install the pagoda hut and station building, I'll cut a section out of the card for them to sit into.  The pagoda hut will probably get rebuilt; I'm toying with the idea of making a slightly larger one, that acts as both a store for items using the end loading dock in the bay, and a shelter on the platform.  So, with a door for each purpose on each side of the hut, if that makes sense.

I couldn't get any of the AK asphalt, but picked up some Tamiya grit effect diorama paste, so I'll test that out on some scrap card.  If all goes well I'll use that for the platform surface (which will also hopefully hide the joins in the plasticard sections).  And slabs along the edges, of course.

IMG20220430122751.jpg.c0cef26961292573ba6259e1f3ec0a38.jpg

IMG20220430122604.jpg.f47d0165c123ca2589c77fbe27c6c05b.jpg

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The corbelling is all done - not that you can see it in these photos, but I know it's there.  And it is more apparent from NVD (normal viewing distance if you haven't been keeping up!)

And the 1mm sheet of plasticard is now in place for the top surface of the platform.  I've only glued it down around the edges, the plan being that when I come to install the pagoda hut and station building, I'll cut a section out of the card for them to sit into.  The pagoda hut will probably get rebuilt; I'm toying with the idea of making a slightly larger one, that acts as both a store for items using the end loading dock in the bay, and a shelter on the platform.  So, with a door for each purpose on each side of the hut, if that makes sense.

I couldn't get any of the AK asphalt, but picked up some Tamiya grit effect diorama paste, so I'll test that out on some scrap card.  If all goes well I'll use that for the platform surface (which will also hopefully hide the joins in the plasticard sections).  And slabs along the edges, of course.

IMG20220430122751.jpg.c0cef26961292573ba6259e1f3ec0a38.jpg

IMG20220430122604.jpg.f47d0165c123ca2589c77fbe27c6c05b.jpg

I got my AK paint on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302581938260

very fast delivery too - they do the whole range - I ordered up some of the others while I was at it.

Andy

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that.  I was able to have a look in the pot of the tamiya stuff at my local model shop, and it looks as if it will do the trick.  Hopefully I'll have time to test it this afternoon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The test worked well, I'll post some pics in a bit.  I'm guessing that the GWR didn't have a standard size of platform edging slab, but what would be a reasonable average size do you think?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The test worked well, I'll post some pics in a bit.  I'm guessing that the GWR didn't have a standard size of platform edging slab, but what would be a reasonable average size do you think?

I can't remember my source but mine are 16mm x 12mm so 4' x 3'. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

I can't remember my source but mine are 16mm x 12mm so 4' x 3'. 

Thanks; that seems a bit wide - but based on nothing more than gut feeling!

• RMweb Gold

Here's how the Tamiya sand effect paste has turned out.  Just a thin layer onto the plasticard, smoothed with a spatula.  Masking tape worked well too, so I think I'll use that for where the edging slabs go.

IMG20220501114259.jpg.382ccbe59257c09bdb986548a0b64e1a.jpg

• Like 3