RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium

try connecting the power directly to the two terminals on the motor - it will spin one way or the other

nb blanking plus are available from Peters spares: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314079468996?epid=1130214460&hash=item4920985dc4:g:14oAAOSwG7pi1~Gd&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsJ6UidbFffZJ%2BmWvWi%2FNETMscyt4jMjU2dWgIVNzXHSgxh5dWnyj2bNyI1%2Bv6D2cJa050PMwEO%2BdrbeOMDk%2B1ZPewN3pPZKQoVX8f%2FXQdSO88h%2B5BfWAbggV2ZtEkq1TsMk%2FEJB1phOZyhUafypunTVbotaJH9dAzSQJWVNCefE2EqJOMvBZV%2BKe%2BXkkgKQ%2BkTs%2F8sPnK38n7LsGUjpBUkBSdSxSZxG92uPa1%2FHBg4hU|tkp%3ABk9SR8LwwafRYQ

image.png.2a431b82c22fad51a4a0879f57ca2635.png

These don't have any components on them at all usually - I think using a genuine blanking plug is your best bet.

andy

Edited by Andy Keane

• RMweb Gold

Do you have a multimeter? (If not, get one, even a cheapo 10 quid one will do for most modelling purposes).

Set it to 'continuity' - this will then buzz when there's a complete circuit - you can check by touching the meter probes together. 

Test each stage of the circuit one at a time, without the decoder installed - wheels to pcb, pcb to motor, motor to pcb, pcb to wheels. 

Hard to tell from the photos if any of the joints are dry, though the orangey one doesn't look great. It's also pretty easy for those very fine wires to snap without being obvious...

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I also found this Hornby Magazine article which shows the KungFu stay-alive connected directly to the PCB, rather than the decoder.  Do you think that might be worth a try?

You can't argue about the authors credentials so I'm sure it's well worth a try. It also seems logical that if suitable pads are designed into the PCB then that's the best place to put the SA KIT.

However, I think the comments re dodgy PCB are mostly likely right, it seems to be a more common problem than you'd expect.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Nick C said:

Do you have a multimeter? (If not, get one, even a cheapo 10 quid one will do for most modelling purposes).

Set it to 'continuity' - this will then buzz when there's a complete circuit - you can check by touching the meter probes together. 

Test each stage of the circuit one at a time, without the decoder installed - wheels to pcb, pcb to motor, motor to pcb, pcb to wheels. 

Hard to tell from the photos if any of the joints are dry, though the orangey one doesn't look great. It's also pretty easy for those very fine wires to snap without being obvious...

I do have one Nick, so I'll dig that out and add it to the armoury that I'm assembling against the Demon Loco.  Main weapon being repeated barrages of profanity, so far...

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

So, first step this morning was to test the motor.  One of the terminals isn't accessible without removing the motor, so I did that.  Touched wires from a 9V battery to the terminals and, hey presto, the motor happily spins away.  But touching the wires to the wheels didn't work.  This made me think (!) that the problem lay somewhere between the pick-ups and the motor; maybe a loose wire somewhere?

Next I removed the keeper plate from the bottom of the loco, to search for wires.  Couldn't find any!  All the pick-ups looked ok to my distinctly amateur eye though, so I put the keeper plate back on.  Applied wires to the wheels, and...  The motor spun up!  No idea what I did but decided to quit while I was ahead.  Replaced the blanking plug (thanks @Harlequin for pointing out my dumb mis-identification of that...) with the decoder, and reassembled the loco.

Now of course was the moment of truth.  Would it still work back in the world of Chuffnell R?

Apparently yes.  I think I will still take the stay-alive wires off the decoder though, and solder them directly to the PCB.

Fingers now firmly crossed that TDL still works next time I venture into the railway spare room 🙂

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 9

• RMweb Gold

I do like the Zimo chips from Youchoos, but as the 1P came sound-fitted I can't really warrant splashing out over £100 on a replacement.  Just glad the so and so is running again!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I quite agree Graham. I was just pointing it out for the benefit of your other reader.

I've a Youchoos one where I have managed to detach two wires from the decoder and don't relish the prospect of soldering them back onto their micro-small pads.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I quite agree Graham. I was just pointing it out for the benefit of your other reader.

There's another reader?!

50 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I've a Youchoos one where I have managed to detach two wires from the decoder and don't relish the prospect of soldering them back onto their micro-small pads.

I know what you mean; soldering wires to decoders is not much fun at all.  Do you have a local model shop that could do it for you?  Failing that of course I'm sure John at Youchoos would be very happy to do it for you.

• RMweb Gold

Having managed to wrestle TDL (The Demon Loco) into submission, I switched targets to the small prairie painting.  I think it's getting close to being done, but there are still a few things to address; I'd really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, thanks!

• I'm not sure about adding the ladder to the top of the water tower.  I think it might be a bit too prominent if I paint it in, and somehow it doesn't feel as if it would work with the composition.
  • Also don't know whether to keep the buffer beam numbers.  Are they a bit too large perhaps?
  • Need to add a little steam from somewhere around the front end of the loco, and also maybe just a wisp of dark-ish smoke from the chimney?
  • I'm still not entirely happy with the shafts of sunlight in the shed.  Wondering whether I should try to add a little smoke or something like that as well?
  • Idea for a title:  "The working day is done".

IMG_1038.jpeg.3f30327598ac05f0113ed6a96fd9dacf.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Having managed to wrestle TDL (The Demon Loco) into submission, I switched targets to the small prairie painting.  I think it's getting close to being done, but there are still a few things to address; I'd really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions, thanks!

• I'm not sure about adding the ladder to the top of the water tower.  I think it might be a bit too prominent if I paint it in, and somehow it doesn't feel as if it would work with the composition.
  • Also don't know whether to keep the buffer beam numbers.  Are they a bit too large perhaps?
  • Need to add a little steam from somewhere around the front end of the loco, and also maybe just a wisp of dark-ish smoke from the chimney?
  • I'm still not entirely happy with the shafts of sunlight in the shed.  Wondering whether I should try to add a little smoke or something like that as well?

Could you add the ladder in with a pencil and straight edge?

A bit of wispy steam from the front end as the cylinder drain cocks would be left open and tend to emit steam slightly as everything cools down.

I like the sunlight steaming through the windows that indicates some sort of either smoke or dust in the atmosphere in there 

Bufferbeam numbers look OK  to me

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I'd be tempted to leave out the ladder. Let's just assume that it's there,on the other side of the tower. 

If it's put in on the visible side it's liable to disappear into the cab roof. (Like one of my photos of my models!)

I'd leave the buffer beam numbers alone.

Maybe a little steam below the cylinder drain cocks?

I think (and this is just my opinion) that smoke would make the area between water tower and shed look too "busy", plus it would cover the pale background details and lose the depth that you have created in the objects below. If that makes sense?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Helllo Graham

For what it is worth I agree with your thoughts on the water tower ladder, It might well unbalance the overall picture.

The buffer beam numbers may technically be  a little large but as they're partly obscured by the buffer they're not really prominent.

The merest wisp of steam and smoke would suggest the loco is gently simmering at the end of a day's work.

The shafts of sunlight don't seem to match the expected angle from the windows, could they be lowered a little?

A great painting.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Ladder: Yes I agree with John.... try adding it in and see what you think.... Maybe print the 'photo above and draw it in and see what you think. As I do not know the tank, the ladder could be on the other side.

I started to go through point by point, but to be honest, the painting is great. I wouldn't change anything.

Well done, you've a real talent there.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Could you add the ladder in with a pencil and straight edge?

A bit of wispy steam from the front end as the cylinder drain cocks would be left open and tend to emit steam slightly as everything cools down.

I like the sunlight steaming through the windows that indicates some sort of either smoke or dust in the atmosphere in there 

Bufferbeam numbers look OK  to me

Thanks John, I think I will leave the buffer beam numbers as they are then.

23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'd be tempted to leave out the ladder. Let's just assume that it's there,on the other side of the tower. 

If it's put in on the visible side it's liable to disappear into the cab roof. (Like one of my photos of my models!)

I'd leave the buffer beam numbers alone.

Maybe a little steam below the cylinder drain cocks?

I think (and this is just my opinion) that smoke would make the area between water tower and shed look too "busy", plus it would cover the pale background details and lose the depth that you have created in the objects below. If that makes sense?

Thanks for all the feedback gents, it's really helpful.  Here's a screenshot of one of the photos I've been working from, which shows why I'm hesitating about including the ladder.  As Herr W says, it looks like it's going into the loco cab...

image.png.5c2169ff246bb03dd8ea730ad3d003a8.png

20 minutes ago, brumtb said:

Helllo Graham

For what it is worth I agree with your thoughts on the water tower ladder, It might well unbalance the overall picture.

The buffer beam numbers may technically be  a little large but as they're partly obscured by the buffer they're not really prominent.

The merest wisp of steam and smoke would suggest the loco is gently simmering at the end of a day's work.

The shafts of sunlight don't seem to match the expected angle from the windows, could they be lowered a little?

A great painting.

Tony

A loco settling down at the end of the day is exactly the look I was after 🙂  I'll add some wisps of steam from the drain cocks.  And you're right about the sunlight, the angle still isn't right.

13 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Ladder: Yes I agree with John.... try adding it in and see what you think.... Maybe print the 'photo above and draw it in and see what you think. As I do not know the tank, the ladder could be on the other side.

I started to go through point by point, but to be honest, the painting is great. I wouldn't change anything.

Well done, you've a real talent there.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Graham

I think its brilliant! The only thing I can spot, apart from the light angle in the shed already mentioned, is that in the photo you are working from the inside of the shed doors are all the same colour as this is a post war photo. Back in the 30's the doors would have been two-tone light and dark stone as per my model - so maybe a slight hint of some lighter tone on the inside of the door? And I think you said you planned to fiddle a bit with the roof vent on the shed to move its ridge slightly to the left?

regards

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Graham

I think its brilliant!

Don't know about that Andy, but it's coming along slowly!

56 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

The only thing I can spot, apart from the light angle in the shed already mentioned, is that in the photo you are working from the inside of the shed doors are all the same colour as this is a post war photo. Back in the 30's the doors would have been two-tone light and dark stone as per my model - so maybe a slight hint of some lighter tone on the inside of the door? And I think you said you planned to fiddle a bit with the roof vent on the shed to move its ridge slightly to the left?

regards

Andy

I think I've fixed the angle of the sunlight in the shed, I'll post a pic tomorrow when i have some daylight again.  I'll modify the inside of the doors too, and do something about the roof vent.

Also saw your message about the bloke who's leaning - I think you're right, and will see what I can do about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1