Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

One of the interesting things about pre-war luggage was the way people would send trunks ahead and meet up with them at the other end so often such trunks would be unaccompanied at the station - not something the modern mind could now imagine!

My trunk went off to Uni PLA, but had to come back by car so still going in ‘76 but finished before ‘79.

Paul..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The end loading bay gate is now fixed in place.  I'm leaving the huts free-standing as they will be moving to Chuffnell Regis Mk II at some point.

IMG_1098.png.992d8fbd6d78c2c129f3fae806be81b6.png

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I've also been painting a few more odds and ends for decorating the layout.  Brace yourselves because this is a very exciting, edge of the seat stuff!

Firstly some barrels...  These will be popped into an open wagon, and if there are any left over they can stand in the goods yard.  Painted with Vallejo light brown and black grey.

IMG_1101.jpeg.9433f781ff6e6ce1434103fb223749dd.jpeg

And some coal sacks!  These will also be lurking in the goods yard, but I'm wondering how they should be stacked?  I will also need to add lots of dust and the odd stray lump of coal wherever I finally put them, I suppose?

IMG_1102.jpeg.476d05dff068095524026e22ace7056f.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg.57dd5e8b78e199df0d851d761b162dec.jpeg

I think I need a cup of tea after all that excitement...

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A lot of the planned projects for Chuffnell R remain on hold while I wait for the UK postal "service" to sort itself out, and provide me with the necessary kit.  So, the duty brain cell has been turned to wondering what to do with this empty expanse at the front of the layout...

IMG_1100.jpg.1b4a5a37923ba15453216cb0c6841f62.jpg

Initial thoughts are:

1. There needs to be a railway boundary fence, I guess running reasonably close to the tracks and then just behind the grounded van next to the turntable.  Which means a long run of post and wire fencing - ugh.
  2. The groundwork needs to be fairly low, just a rolling field perhaps?  No big trees as I'll just snag them as I reach across to the layout, a few bushes and so on though.
  3. But the area needs some interest in it too I think.  Maybe a (small) ruined barn or something like that?  Perhaps a pond?
  4. Maybe a little cameo this side of the grounded van.  An idea that springs to mind is a group of bods sitting around a packing case having a sneaky game of cards, out of sight of the shed.  Does anybody know of any 1:72 figures like that?

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, drmditch said:

How about a river/lake/estuary/mudflat ?

The advantage being a large unobstructed flat area, unless you start filling it with boats/wrecks/other structures!

That would be a nice idea, but I already have a river valley at the other end of the layout, so the levels wouldn't work unfortunately.  I might put in a pond though...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I'd suggest a nice meadow with maybe a couple of feature oak trees.... less is more

Tempting.  I'll see if I can position a tree or two where they won't be a snagging hazard.  With a pond as well, and a more or less collapsed barn...  Hmm.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Graham T said:

A lot of the planned projects for Chuffnell R remain on hold while I wait for the UK postal "service" to sort itself out,

Hi Graham,

what sort of issues are still impacting deliveries? I thought this was sorted now and I've had several orders "on hold" for same reasons as you.

Colin

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Graham,

what sort of issues are still impacting deliveries? I thought this was sorted now and I've had several orders "on hold" for same reasons as you.

Colin

I ordered some bits from Rails of Sheffield.. Royal Mail 48hrs is still more like 5 days.. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Graham,

Colin

Hi Colin.  One vendor has told me that the post office is still recovering from the cyber attack in January, and have only recently started accepting international deliveries again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

I ordered some bits from Rails of Sheffield.. Royal Mail 48hrs is still more like 5 days.. 

Five days?  Luxury!

image.png.ba5df4e12ff4d40c2bdb9776010eb040.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 04/03/2023 at 16:40, Graham T said:

So, the duty brain cell has been turned to wondering what to do with this empty expanse at the front of the layout...

Hi Graham

Something fairly flat, so reaching across it isn't a problem. 

One end of -

A cricket / football match

A motor racing circuit 

An airfield

A scrapyard (with siding?)

A caravan site

A scout camp

An army barracks (some Nissen huts and squaddies drilling)

A car / traction engine rally 

A fairground 

Etc.

All low and easily missed.

Best wishes

Cam

• Like 2

Further to my previous, it occurs to me that using @KNP's demountable baseplate approach would allow you to have several interchangeable scenery modules, and so you wouldn't need to choose which one you prefer.

• Like 3

On 05/03/2023 at 03:40, Graham T said:

So, the duty brain cell has been turned to wondering what to do with this empty expanse at the front of the layout...

A little playground?

That'd earn "brownie points" with your girls, I know for certain as my granddaughter even went as far as designing mine for me! My techniques were a tad coarse back then!

Built on a removable  "island" it'd even be "swapoutable" for something else as/ when desired. You are limited only by your imagination here; gives you a big canvas 🙂

Playground-2rs.jpg.2057b4f6df468de62072d0f9f7af33fc.jpg

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, CameronL said:

Hi Graham

Something fairly flat, so reaching across it isn't a problem. 

One end of -

A cricket / football match

A motor racing circuit 

An airfield

A scrapyard (with siding?)

A caravan site

A scout camp

An army barracks (some Nissen huts and squaddies drilling)

A car / traction engine rally 

A fairground 

Etc.

All low and easily missed.

Best wishes

Cam

Thanks Cam, there are some really nice ideas in there.  I'd also considered another siding to serve something or other, but there's no sensible way to run one from my already rather weird track plan!

11 hours ago, aardvark said:

Further to my previous, it occurs to me that using @KNP's demountable baseplate approach would allow you to have several interchangeable scenery modules, and so you wouldn't need to choose which one you prefer.

Now that is an interesting concept!  I'm sure it will have been done somewhere, but I've never seen it.

10 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

A little playground?

That'd earn "brownie points" with your girls, I know for certain as my granddaughter even went as far as designing mine for me! My techniques were a tad coarse back then!

Built on a removable  "island" it'd even be "swapoutable" for something else as/ when desired. You are limited only by your imagination here; gives you a big canvas 🙂

Playground-2rs.jpg.2057b4f6df468de62072d0f9f7af33fc.jpg

Another cracking little idea, thanks.

I need to give all of these some serious thought, as of course it's going to be at the very front of the layout and so will be what people see first.  In my mind's eye the small town of Chuffnell R is somewhere off to the left of the station, behind the backscene - perhaps I need to reconsider that...

But why all the effort, I hear you cry (or maybe not!), if you're going to start on Chuffnell Regis Mk II anyway?  Well, the plan, such as it is, will indeed be to make a start on CR Mk II as soon as the current layout is finished (or as finished as they ever get), but I'll keep the existing layout running while I build the other.  It won't get dismantled until I can at least run some trains on the new version, I don't think.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That's another nice idea Russell, thanks.  Cider would really fit the location too of course.  I'm actually toying with the idea of trying to make an elm tree to go somewhere in that space, and in fact even ventured out to the Austrian version of B&Q for some supplies.  More to be revealed later, hopefully!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, russell price said:

Got to have cider in Herefordshire. Maybe a harvest scene is too narrow a timescale  to have .

I used to grow various cider varieties. They ripen over quite a long period, late July through to October.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2