RMweb

Photos of inside a MK1 BG (full brake)

Does anyone have any photos of the inside of a MK1 BG? Ideally not empty.

I see there was a recent discussion about why BGs were used and people describe all sorts of items being carried. I’d like to add a suggestion of an interior to an OO gauge BG I have in blue/grey. I can find a couple of photos of empty BGs inside, but nothing showing a BG in use. Bikes seem a popular suggestion, as does luggage, right up to BRUTEs. I’d love a few prototype photos as inspiration.

Thanks in advance 

• RMweb Gold

Parcels in various shapes and sizes and piles of mailbags, mostly, in separate piles sorted according to destination between, not blocking, the doors, plus anything the passengers had put in there, such as big luggage or prams.  I don’t recall BRUTEs being loaded on BGs in passenger service where the cages were still fitted, but certainly on those in parcels/mail circuits.  BRUTEs were used both for BR’s parcels and the mail traffic. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1

The other thing that I seem to remember from years of placing a bicycle in BGs, is that they were painted white inside with 1ft square blackboard black painted panels on the doors and wire bulkheads so that mailbags and the like could be placed in identified locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember riding in a very crowded train from Wolverhampton to Birmingham NS just before Xmas 1982, I had my bike with me so rode in the BG with other standing passengers. There were boxes of day-old chicks stacked next to me! Regular traffic in those days.

Dava

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I certainly had chicks going cheep in baskets in my vans, and an occupied coffin on one occasion (he was no bother at all).  Tethered greyhounds were common as well. and, sadly but there was really no alternative then, sometimes passengers in wheelchairs, who often grumbled about it and I could see their point, wheeled up the ramp like goods!  The vans were dirty, sometimes smelly, draughty, dusty, cold in winter, and noisy, not a pleasant travelling environment to have to sit in having paid for a ticket, and of course the toilet facilities were inspection panels in the floor released with a carriage key and used with little privacy.

We have improved a little since then.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1