RMweb

HELP! Trojan Spyware Alert

iands

• RMweb Premium

Hi All, 

A short while ago (not whilst using RMWeb) my computer (laptop) suddenly locked up with various alert screens displayed together with a continuous audible message saying "Important security message, your computer has been locked......... Please call support immediately." 

The phone number quoted to call is 020-8638-6201 (Helpline-Toll-free). 

It looks like a genuine Microsoft Windows firewall protection alert (on screen), but just wondered about the phone number, I thought it possibly should be a 08xx or 03xx number. Does anyone else have experience of this issue / phone number? 

Just seeking some help/advice before calling the number. 

Thanks in advance. 

PS - using my mobile to post this message. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi All, 

A short while ago (not whilst using RMWeb) my computer (laptop) suddenly locked up with various alert screens displayed together with a continuous audible message saying "Important security message, your computer has been locked......... Please call support immediately." 

The phone number quoted to call is 020-8638-6201 (Helpline-Toll-free). 

It looks like a genuine Microsoft Windows firewall protection alert (on screen), but just wondered about the phone number, I thought it possibly should be a 08xx or 03xx number. Does anyone else have experience of this issue / phone number? 

Just seeking some help/advice before calling the number. 

Thanks in advance. 

PS - using my mobile to post this message. 

Scam number according to whocalledme? website

02086386201 who called me? | who-called.co.uk

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

While the website is a scam, there can be actual risks involved. Quite often these pages are hacked redirects from legit websites. Very often the redirect page with the warning is attempting to install malware or other phishing software on your machine while telling you you are infected. Depending on your browser, it can even alter your start up page so that you end up with the same message and lock up refresh every time you start your browser up. (simple solution is to disconnect from the internet before restarting which prevents the page from loading) I'm a big fan of Malwarebytes and their Browser Guard which prevents 99% of these redirects. 

Please do a full malware scan of your machine using either Malwarebytes or your preferred anti-virus software package. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

While the website is a scam, there can be actual risks involved. Quite often these pages are hacked redirects from legit websites. Very often the redirect page with the warning is attempting to install malware or other phishing software on your machine while telling you you are infected. Depending on your browser, it can even alter your start up page so that you end up with the same message and lock up refresh every time you start your browser up. (simple solution is to disconnect from the internet before restarting which prevents the page from loading) I'm a big fan of Malwarebytes and their Browser Guard which prevents 99% of these redirects. 

Please do a full malware scan of your machine using either Malwarebytes or your preferred anti-virus software package. 

Thanks for the advice Andrew. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Does your laptop now work is it really locked? Have you clicked on something for the scam to actually work on the machine?

My apologies for not providing an update sooner (thanks tigerburnie for the prompt). Contrary to what the voice message said, I did turn off the laptop, waited a minute or so then turn on again. All works fine and no problems encountered. Virus scan has not found anything, so hopefully all is good.

• Like 6