VGA vans - how to find one? where can I see a detailed drawing?

I am working on a 3D CAD drawing of the VGA vans which were built at BR Shildon in the 1980s and I wish to see a copy of the arrangement drawing which would have been prepared before build started.

Where might such drawings be held today?

thank you, Graham

Edited by Western Star

The drawing numbers of the general arrangement drawings are normally listed in the vehicle diagram books. There are copies of these on the Barrowmore MRG web-site. Book 320 Part 4 includes the VGA vans, diagrams VG 001 A to D being the variants included.

VG 001 A is the prototype, G.A. drawing C1-A0-9003836

VG 001 B onwards are all variants of the production batch, G.A. drawing C1-A0-9005498

These drawings should be available from Serco Raildata at Derby - what used to be RDDS. They can be contacted through their web-site.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Western Star changed the title to VGA vans - how to find one? where can I see a detailed drawing?

I believe that TOPS holds the location of each vehicle which is registered to run on the national rail network. Is that data available to modellers as "interested parties"? How can I access the information online so as to find a specific type of wagon?

Or put another way, can I access TOPS to find the whereabouts of any remaining VGA covered wagons?

regards, Graham

22 minutes ago, Western Star said:

Or put another way, can I access TOPS to find the whereabouts of any remaining VGA covered wagons?

(i)

4mm scale drawings of the VGA appeared in one of the last issues of Model Railway Constructor, circa 1987.

They are not GA drawings.

(ii)

Currently, there is a flow operating out of the Celsa (UK) Cardiff Rod Mill, via Tidal Yard that carries wire coils in VGA vans.

That may be a starting point for you ?

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, br2975 said:

(i)

4mm scale drawings of the VGA appeared in one of the last issues of Model Railway Constructor, circa 1987.

They are not GA drawings.

(ii)

Currently, there is a flow operating out of the Celsa (UK) Cardiff Rod Mill, via Tidal Yard that carries wire coils in VGA vans.

That may be a starting point for you ?

Brian R

Brian

I have deliberately NOT mentioned our VGA drawing as the OP asked for a GA. Ours in the MRC is based on our field measurements but won't include all of the gubbins underneath that modern modellers now require. 30 years ago we couldn't really get anyone interested in drawings at all, and of course they have faded from most magazines. The detail photos I took when doing the measuring can be seen at https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brvga

TOPS are, of course, confidential but there are some on here that appear to have access and willing to publish some of them. 

Paul 

• Like 3

Paul @hmrspaul,

This photograph is of the LH end of a VGA...  where can I find information on the size of the box which contains the wagon type / number / tare?  I ask because knowing the size of the box shall enable me to estimate the width of the door framing.

thank you, Graham

Edited by Western Star

You don't need to estimate, As mentioned a drawing is in MRC and my photo collection gives the reference. 

This request is very confusing. You asked for a GA which are difficult to obtain for BR stock, and expensive. But they usually provide very high detail - although modern GAs can be more a list of other drawings that are required. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

This request is very confusing. You asked for a GA which are difficult to obtain for BR stock, and expensive. But they usually provide very high detail - although modern GAs can be more a list of other drawings that are required.

What you say about obtaining drawings for recent stock is probably true and may be what I shall experience.  In the meantime, having a known dimension to support scaling of a key part of the bodywork shall enable support the creation of a draft drawing.

Western Star, I think it might help if you described what you were planning to do with the drawing, we might understand better how much detail you actually need, and be able to point you in the right direction so something that can meet your needs. if your location is accurate, the most likely hunting ground might be Didcot, but its a while since I was in that area, and I'm not sure how busy MOD traffic is, however with the withdrawal from Afghanistan there may be lots of VKA's moving returned stores.

Jon

From the limited, and somewhat confusing information you have posted so far, if you are unable to locate and measure/photograph a prototype vehicle for yourself , or cannot find any suitable images via Google etc ...... I can but recommend you track down the following;

Model Railway Constructor, December 1986, which contains an article on the VGA vans, including a 4mm scale drawing ( side and end elevations ), the authors are   Paul Bartlett & Trevor Mann.

There is little more I can add, to what has already been posted.

Brian R

Edited by br2975