Take a Peak, D1 rework in economy green.

w124bob

A recent Ebay purchase reworked to correct and add detail. Scafell Pike was a fairly early release from Bachmann which needs a bit doing to get it looking better, two omissions are a lack of engine exhaust port and the missing nose seam. As well as adding those items additional work included removing the boiler filler hatch blanking plugs, plating over the boiler safety valve recess and removing the inner sand boxes. This is work that any green D1 to D8 will need if using Scafell as a starting point, D1 had an economy green repaint including the beading on the body side grills.

Lots of Tcut removed the white stripe whilst the beading was just painted/weather over, weathering is brush work using a base of mixed acrylics plus powders. Then a Dulcote varnish which I then left to harden off. This was then fine tuned with oils to get that faded look, then another coating of Dulcote. All inspired by a picture off D1 sitting at Toton circa 1972. The green backed name plate came from Fox, date panel from Rail-tec and the tiny plaque on the cab door from the box we all have of left overs from somewhere. It represents a plaque for fitters on minor loco mods or none standard spec, these were fixed to the drivers door. A perfect match for my order of Accurascale MDV/MDO minerals! Click on the picture for the full Flickr album. There's an album for 5031 as well.

D1 Scafell Pike

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 27/09/2021 at 21:32, w124bob said:

A recent Ebay purchase reworked to correct and add detail. Scafell Pike was a fairly early release from Bachmann which needs a bit doing to get it looking better, two omissions are a lack of engine exhaust port and the missing nose seam. As well as adding those items additional work included removing the boiler filler hatch blanking plugs, plating over the boiler safety valve recess and removing the inner sand boxes. This is work that any green D1 to D8 will need if using Scafell as a starting point, D1 had an economy green repaint including the beading on the body side grills.

Lots of Tcut removed the white stripe whilst the beading was just painted/weather over, weathering is brush work using a base of mixed acrylics plus powders. Then a Dulcote varnish which I then left to harden off. This was then fine tuned with oils to get that faded look, then another coating of Dulcote. All inspired by a picture off D1 sitting at Toton circa 1972. The green backed name plate came from Fox, date panel from Rail-tec and the tiny plaque on the cab door from the box we all have of left overs from somewhere. It represents a plaque for fitters on minor loco mods or none standard spec, these were fixed to the drivers door. A perfect match for my order of Accurascale MDV/MDO minerals! Click on the picture for the full Flickr album. There's an album for 5031 as well.

D1 Scafell Pike

Cracking work, very well done there Bob. Layout looks fantastic too.

Cheers

James

44 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Cracking work, very well done there Bob. Layout looks fantastic too.

Cheers

James

I take no credit for the layout, that's all down members and former members of Manchester Model Railway Society. 

2 minutes ago, w124bob said:

I take no credit for the layout, that's all down members and former members of Manchester Model Railway Society. 

Ahh! I thought it looked very Dewsbury Midland-esq, great layout and as an ex Dewsbury resident it really does capture the area well.

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 1