Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The early days of GBRf

tubs01

Hi all, I would be very interested in seeing what people have to say about GBRf from 2001-2006/7ish, not really much information about this time online, searching up GBRf pictures or videos from its inception to about the middle of the decade brings up barely anything bar the naming of a shed in 2001, so very interested in seeing more from this. Do apologize if this sounds a little jumbled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/09/2021 at 22:43, tubs01 said:

Hi all, I would be very interested in seeing what people have to say about GBRf from 2001-2006/7ish, not really much information about this time online, searching up GBRf pictures or videos from its inception to about the middle of the decade brings up barely anything bar the naming of a shed in 2001, so very interested in seeing more from this. Do apologize if this sounds a little jumbled.

I'd recommend getting some back issues of the magazines from the period, RAIL, Rail Express and The Railway Magazine, they used to have lots of pics and commentary and news stories from what was going on at the time. GBRf steadily grew their fleet of 66s and had a good set of names on the locos with some press releases here and there featuring in the mags, that's where I'd start looking!

I remember commentary in a 'Stop & Examine' section of RAIL early 2000s where someone had popped a 'First' logo onto a 66 and it was unclear back then as to why, possibly a joke, and then a while later they did actually operate under the First banner!

There was a stage when they had their low-emission Metronet 66s delivered, new-build wagon fleets coming on stream and from that point on they started to get a real following, more and more locos joining the fleet and celeb liveries popping up all over the place!

Nowadays it seems fun following the listings of what's changed each month in Rail Express, they appear a major player now and the numerous new locos and refurbished classes under the blue team and it's hard to believe it was the same company from those small beginnings - it seems like only yesterday opening the contemporary magazines seeing the first pics of the 7 'Bluebirds' lined up being unveiled at Willesden. 

Cheers,

James

• Like 1