Designs for a Micro Layout Baseboard in a Box?

MrTea

• RMweb Premium

Over the last 5 years or so I've been building up a collection of 00 rolling stock with the eventual aim of building a layout. I haven't got a great deal of space so I'm considering a micro layout and, following some success with laser cut MDF boards from Scale Model Scenery on my N scale Swiss layout I've been looking at their BB017 and BB029 kits. I like the idea of being able to pack the layout away for storage and I gather these fit inside a plastic storage box intended for artificial Christmas Trees.

Has anyone here designed or built a layout for one of these? 

I've done a couple of doodles so far and I'd be interested in your thoughts. Given that the board measures just over 1.1m I'm thinking that I'll have a small cassette or fiddle stick at one or both ends of the layout.

1355543391_MicroLayoutBaseboardInABox1.png.e6fedfd594c284e84ba20ce75ce29509.png

Plan 1 is inspired by the classic Inglenook shunting puzzle with the addition of a headshunt or kick-back siding on the front right. I'd anticipate a bridge as the scenic break on the left hand side. I'm thinking this would be a steam-era layout but it doesn't necessarily have to be. Last night I was toying with the idea of the front track being at a slightly lower level than the rear track which would make for a more interesting layout scenically.

1665892186_MicroLayoutBaseboardInABox1v2.png.712c03d299bf72496cff9621fa64672b.png

Plan 2 is slightly off-beat and depicts the interface between an industrial branch and the mainline or a present-day connection between a preserved line and Network Rail. Again I'd imagine there's a bridge covering the left hand end of the layout (possibly similar to Keighley in West Yorkshire) with the front two tracks being the main lines.

Hi hi Mr Tea,

I don't know about these particular baseboards but I know many users here build layouts on ikea "lack" shelves that measure 120 x 40 cm. I'm planning one myself. If you check the "cameo layouts" subforum in special interests, and the micro layouts section, you should find loads of ideas and inspiratie!

Amanda

I've mentioned this before in the "Bedvale" thread, but why not get a small chest of drawers or an old style writing desk(or slope), and build a micro layout in each drawer/ on the pull down desk top? And you have somewhere to store the stock and a workbench on top! Go a bit further and you could stack the drawers for a multi-level layout (eg. Iron ore discharging into wagons/lorry/ship below or Liverpool overhead above/ docklands below etc, etc.) or connect them together length ways or L or U shapes. Perspex drawer fronts could slide out for "play and display!" :locomotive:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Another idea I've had is to replicate the essence of Ingrow West yard on the KWVR:

364657071_MicroLayoutBaseboardInABox1IngrowWest.png.bc1ec212e3a0188bbd885586195ab139.png

I quite like the idea of being able to run trains on a shuttle backwards and forwards on the line at the rear of the scene whilst carrying out shunting moves in the yard at the front.

The other bonus is that the yard is covered by Google Streetview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8548411,-1.913749,3a,75y,171.46h,86.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szEYJYXBEiefqn65GV4WLnw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656