RMweb

Multimouse with Lenz, Function access problem.

Martin-C

I’ve just obtained a new Multimouse to use as an additional controller on my Lenz 100 3.6 system.

It works really well except that I can only action functions up to F12. The Multimouse has software version 1.04, which I understand should action functions up to 20.

When I use the shift key in conjunction with number keys above 2, the display shows a flashing function number and the function is not actioned.

Is this a known Multimouse on Lenz system issue?  Would an upgrade to Multimouse V1.05 software solve the problem?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks Martin C.

• RMweb Gold

Up until quite recently it was known that a Multimaus couldn’t access the higher functions when used with a Lenz command station.  Something to do with the way they implemented XpressNet I believe.

That’s not to say it isn’t possible with the latest firmware version.  Anyone?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TPC said:

1.05- main update is,  loco functions now F0 to F28 and can access CV I to CV 1024.  Depending on the Roco CC there is also slight changes to the read/ write of CV and POM (write only).

Is that also the case when used with a Lenz command station?

Lenz 3.6 are capable of F0 to F28.  So you multimouse should work up to F20,  but also keep in mind how many functions the loc decoder might have.  Also with some sound decoders some of the functions only work once the train is moving with sound on.  The flashing of F13+ could be a bug in the 1.04 firmware of the mouse.

17 hours ago, TPC said:

Lenz 3.6 are capable of F0 to F28.  So you multimouse should work up to F20,  but also keep in mind how many functions the loc decoder might have.  Also with some sound decoders some of the functions only work once the train is moving with sound on.  The flashing of F13+ could be a bug in the 1.04 firmware of the mouse.

Thanks for your inputs... I've confirmed the F13+ problem using both LokSound and Zimo decoders on lighting and sound functions that work fine under similar circumstances via my lenz controller.  A friend has now confirmed that his multimouse operates successfully with Lenz LZV200 at V4.0 (up to F20 with Multimaus V1.04 and F28 with V1.05).  Fortunately the retailer has kindly agreed to upgrade my multimaus to 1.05... so if its corrupted firmware, hopefully that will solve the problem. I'll post the results of the upgrade when its been done.

Martin C. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Martin-C said:

A friend has now confirmed that his multimouse operates successfully with Lenz LZV200 at V4.0

It will be interesting to see if it works with your LZV100.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2021 at 10:40, Martin-C said:

Thanks for your inputs... I've confirmed the F13+ problem using both LokSound and Zimo decoders on lighting and sound functions that work fine under similar circumstances via my lenz controller.  A friend has now confirmed that his multimouse operates successfully with Lenz LZV200 at V4.0 (up to F20 with Multimaus V1.04 and F28 with V1.05).  Fortunately the retailer has kindly agreed to upgrade my multimaus to 1.05... so if its corrupted firmware, hopefully that will solve the problem. I'll post the results of the upgrade when its been done.

Martin C. 

I've just received my Multimaus back from the retailer, who kindly upgraded the unit to V1.05 firmware.  Testing with my Lenz LZV100 (V3.6) the function control behaviour is certainly different. 

The good news is that after dealing with a transient issue, described in detail below, all functions up to and including F28 now operate successfully. Although all numbers above F12 still flash on and off on the Multimaus display, when active. While lower numbers display continuously when active.

The bad news is that when the controller is first switched on, or after selecting a different loco, most (but not all) of the functions F13 to F20 are flashing on and off, and pressing any of these function keys, triggers all the flashing functions between F13 and F20 simultaneously:resent:. These all have to be cancelled before proceeding.  Once these are cancelled all appears to work OK:D except for the flashing of active function numbers above 12. (which i can ignore).

So in conclusion, after a few seconds of confusion when sorting out the above issue, the V1.05 Multimaus works well. But... in a display situation, I can still only use function keys up to 12 if I want to avoid the brief cacophony resulting from triggering a multitude of simultaneous sounds when trying to cancel the rogue keys.  I'm not sure that I'm winning!  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It sounds like it's nearly there - but not quite.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to report back how manageable you feel this issue is after a few running sessions.

Hi BoD, Sorry for the delayed response, I'd not anticipated further inputs on the thread...  In answer to your question, the Multimaus was obtained to provide an additional controller for our village MRC layout to control shunting activites in the sidings while simultaneous mainline trains were being controlled via the Lenz hand controller. I've configured the decoders in the shunters so that the most useful lighting and sound functions are controlled by F0 to F9. So that we never need to use the problem range of functions during a display. I like the rotary speed control on the Multimaus, which I find more intuitive than the Lenz LH100 button control, so by avoiding the use of single shift functions, it all works well.  At home I tend to avoid using the Multimaus on locos when I expect to want to use the F13-F20 range of functions. So its not an ideal situation, but neither is it a complete disaster. I have a friend who has the more up to date Lenz LZV200 with V4.0 software installed. He uses Multimaus controllers without the problems that I have encountered on my LZV100 V3.6 system, so I can only guess that Lenz V4 somehow removes the incompatibility that causes my problem. Hope that answers your question. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your reply Martin.

I too have a similar (possibly identical) system to you except I haven’t upgraded the multimaus.  I too like the rotary function of the multimaus.  It looks like I won’t bother with the upgrade and, like you,  I will just continue to try to work around the issue.

A further update to this issue:  My friend who previously reported that his Multimaus  worked without problems in conjunction with his Lenz LZV200 V4 system has just let me know that a new Multimaus that he has just acquired, when updated from 1.04 to 1.05, displays similar problems to those I have described with my Multimaus 1.05 operating with my earlier Lenz LZV100 V3.6 system . So my previous conclusions are now in doubt. It looks as if not all currently available Multimaus units behave in a similar manner when operating with Lenz equipment. (Could there be a hardware build standard variation between Multimaus units that can provoke the issue??? )