Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

S Scale in 3D - whats on the computer.

Timber

Well done Im impressed. It's my masterplan to get rich building a WCER loco kit in S scale😜.

Actually, its a nice subject with a little license you could have many variations of original with and without outside frames plus various cabs including an enclosed American style cab, then there are the Furness rebuilds.

Unfortunately  its on my ever increasing "to do list"

• Like 3

For me the trick to learning Fusion is to not get too bogged down in the theory.   All the tutorials I looked at get caught up in constraints and the difference between bodies and components.

Both of these topics are important but they are not essential to making a basic model.   I was probably one year into Fusion before I really started to focus on constraints.  Just start by drawing and extruding.   Dimensions are important but these are easy.  Stick with bodies and by the time your bodies become too complex you will understand why components can help.   

Now I constrain everything and do use components to structure my models.....but I got to these gradually - I want to make models not be a Fusion expert and I found that keeping this front of mind helped me to learn Fusion.

• Like 1

Sorry about the tardy reply.

TinkerCad can't do boiler fittings, at least I haven't seen any done, but for plain and simple boxy things it is quite good.

I suspect as I get better with Fusion, TC will fade into the background, but they all need time and practice - there is no magic pill. :-(

Rob

You are right about no magic pill! I did the first 6 FE tutorials from Arnold Rowntree and felt quite proficient in a short space of time. Left it all alone for a couple of weeks for various reasons and after had to go back to the tutorials and do them again! I am hoping that there will come a moment when it all becomes second nature, but I'm no way near that yet! But I am a lot further forward than I was a month ago, that's for certain and it is enjoyable and interesting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next up for my collection of Brecon and Merthyr engines will be a 0-6-0 outside frame saddle tank.  The B&M had a number of these engines either built directly or acquired.  The majority of the engines were built by both Fowler and Stephenson to a broadly common design.     

IMG_1584.jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 4

The model will be part etch and part 3D print.   Etch artwork completed and set off to PPD to work their magic.

We had a discussion at the last Zoom call on artwork prep for 3D etching.   I simply draw my etches in Visio, save as a PDF and then send for an etch.  The attached picture is what I send.  PPD kindly sort out the colour separation.

Screenshot 2022-12-05 202130.png

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Inspired by our Zoom calls I have started to dable in Templot.   There is some fantastic work being carried out on 3D printed track.

After alot of asks for help and scratching of head I finally managed to create some STL files.   I have printed the chairs and they seem very good (photo does not do them justice).   I am now going to try making complete track.   The chairs slot into the sleepers.   Will give this a go one evening and see how far I get.

Martin the developer of Templot is amazing.....all I have done is clicked a few buttons, how he does all this is beyond me.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 204805.png

Screenshot (199).png

Edited by Timber
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The idea is that the chairs then drop into the sleepers.   Mine nearly do.   It is a brilliant system but I think that I may have two problems that should be easily overcome...

Shrinkage in the sleeper base makes the chairs hard to seat, but I can scale up a little bit for that....

I selected the scale bullhead rail profile and it is too small for our code 87 so I need to try and work out the custom settings....my resin may also be too brittle.....have to see.

Alot more playing around - this is a very smart system, it is still in development in Templot but very smart software from Martin.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 203719.png

Edited by Timber
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Timber said:

Shrinkage in the sleeper base makes the chairs hard to seat, but I can scale up a little bit for that....

Hi Michael,

DON'T DO THAT!

If you change the scaling the track won't match your track plan and templates. To adjust the chair fit, click this button and change the settings:

chair_fit.png.092f68777f23566e4ec663aef7a6fdff.png

But first, you can probably use better settings in your FDM slicer than the standard profiles provided. The default settings in the chair fit button should work well if you get the slicer settings better. I'm in the middle of explaining the slicer settings for you on Templot Club forum, but I knew you wouldn't wait until I've finished! 🙂

The chairs are designed to be a tight press fit in the sockets, they don't just drop in (otherwise they would need some glue). You can firm them home by tapping a hardwood block on the rail top with a pin hammer:

brick_chairing_tools-jpg.4145

brick_chairing_tools1-jpg.4144

em_c_switch4-jpg.4206

If you are using the solid-jaw slide-on chairs, don't try to fit them without rail in them.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thank you Martin, will give this another go at the weekend. 

Your photos really help share the potential of this system. 

I think that if I just increase the chamfer a bit I will be good.   The resin is what is on the printer - at the weekend I will swap to a grey resin.  

Edited by Timber
  • Like 3

Amazing Michael. I do though like having the wooden sleepers as they look and stain like wood. Also, despite working closely to Templot plans I have still found that adjustments are needed here and there to get reliable running - I don't know why but the glued chairs to sleepers does allow for slicing off the old chair and replacing with 2 half chairs in the new adjusted position. 

But I salute you and Martin with Templot for this. 

• Like 1

Thanks Rosedale - Martin deserves the credit - it is amazing software.   Given I have never built a proper layout and many people including yourself have built amazing layouts based on the wooden sleeper mechanism then that will probably always be a favourite.

That said I have decided to build a proper layout, I am planning on making a model of Fochriw a small through station on the B&M.  I started using Templot to plan the baseboards when I started looking at this system.  I am going to give this system a go, it is still under development but it is going to be interesting.  

Hopefully I will have some more to show tomorrow....

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

After a long time trying Ive finally worked out how to produce 3d boiler fittings in Freecad. My method is a lot more involved than that in the fusion 360  video mentioned  on here last year, however it seems to be a reasonable end result and presumably it will print.

dome.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...