RMweb

Help with wiring required!

alan_parkes

See attached poor diagram of my new layout, can anyone clever help with info where to place feeds and Insulating joiners. The blue and yellow circuits are intended as the main lines, with two separate feeds from controller. The red loop is intended to be run/isolated from the blue main line from the same supply/controller and switched by the points (turnout)

Just to add confusion, the three turnouts at the front are electrofrog SL95E, all others insulfrog.

Corner platform  copy.jpg

Firstly I would replace the electrofrog SL points with ST points as they are not the same geometry and are causing distortions in your track layout which will result in derailments. Every piece should connect precisely with another - you shouldn't need to use flex track. 

You only mention one controller, although I would plan for one for each loop plus one for sidings. 

Without going into great detail, I would put insulated rail joiners in the middle of each crossover and at the ends of each coloured section. I'd put power feeds into each section and sidings. These can be wired to switches later if you have more than one controller. The problem of using points to switch sections is that it may limit your flexibility later. Bear in mind that modern points may not be self isolating. 

You need to consider the future as the last thing you want to do is rip up track to put insulated rail joiners in. 

Edited by grriff
Mentioned track geometry
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, grriff said:

You need to consider the future as the last thing you want to do is rip up track to put insulated rail joiners in. 

Good advice regarding future planning - if in doubt install insulated joiners & bridge the gaps with short jumper wires/cables

• Like 1

Thanks to both-the geometry issue is more with the computer drawing rather than actual-I have solved it in real life! Even since writing my request I have seen the need to isolate the circuits and put in insulating joiners. I have a Gaugemaster twin track controller, by the way and a couple of Combis for the sidings. I am getting there...........