Class 45 & 46 'Peak' locos in 4mm

Hi, 

I have been wondering what modeller's views are on  the best  Class 45/46 (4mm) that are available  ?

I am hoping to create a couple of detailed 'Peaks' in BR green, which I would have professionally weathered.

Just want to know what people believe is the best / better Class 45's that are available, Splitbox, centre panel etc, etc ? 

Bachmann, Heljan, Hornby  or are there others ?   Also are there any promised by companies ??

Many thanks,  

Ian 

20201129_120231 (4).jpg

20201129_120350 (1).jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only Bachmann make the Peaks (44/45/46).

Heljan's is WIP - see the thread under the Heljan forum for additional insights. 

I think most of us are reserving judgment on the Heljan versions until we see them in the flesh.

• Agree 3

The first Bachmann models used the 1980s Mainline model with a vastly superior drive using a centre motor and flywheels with drive to both bogies, the original mainline model was well detailed however had a feeble pancake motor driving 2 axles, and collected power from 4 of its 16 wheels! 

I seem to remember the first release of the retooled model had lost it's distinctive nose 'seam' 

Edited by kernowtim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Mainline one was great as a static model, the power bogies was a 2-4-2  with middle wheels powered, seemed to have similarities to the Jouef class 40.  That said it pulled well with traction tyres but its running was poor by  1980s standards.

I bought a "factory second" Mainline one, unpainted but boxed, from Hattons, some 25+ years ago, when putting together a basic 'first train set' for my then small elder son, who actually wasn't interested, so everything got put away.

I eventually painted it up as 45137, complete with nameplates, & it did look rather good.

It's languished in a box for many years now; perhaps I should get it out, check it over & sell it on...

Mark