RMweb

What have I just bought? (00/H0 bo-bo chassis identification).

J25

I have recently acquired a chassis for a project I have in mind. Can anybody advise me as to who made it and  what it was? It has no manufacturers name, or any serial number. THe motor is a five pole one and the chassis narrows at one end, suggestng that the original body was single ended. The chassis length is approx. 16 cm. Thank you

P2231033.JPG

P2231034.JPG

• J25 changed the title to What have I just bought? (00/H0 bo-bo chassis identification).
  • RMweb Premium

The snap-on brass strip for wiring and the castings sticking up from the trucks to touch it definitely say Athearn.  The contact between them can be dodgy.

• Agree 2

Agreed - Athearn F7 - I have a couple albeit slightly later ones with flywheels. With some careful cleaning and tuning it will run very well, especially if that spring clip that connects the bogies to the motor is replaced with soldered wire connections. Might overload your controller though !

• Agree 1

I agree with those who have suggested an Athearn F7 as the source for the chassis. The lack of flywheels would probably make it mid to late ‘60s vintage as flywheels were adopted by the ‘70s. 

Cheers,

David