Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sharp Stewart 2-4-2 / Furness Railway J1 Class

GERDecapod

Hello my name is Steven, I'd like to ask if you have information about the Furness J1 2-4-2 tank engines that were rebuilt in the 1890s from the earlier E1 tender engines. I understand that the E1 class from the Furness railway were built from an 'off the peg' design from the Sharp, Stewart and Company. My first question pertaining to the J1's is who were they rebuilt by, were they rebuilt by the Furness railway themselves? Or were they rebuilt by Sharp, Stewart and Company? My second question is pertaining to their design, if you know who designed these tank engines? Was it again the Furness railway or was it Sharp, Stewart and Company? My third question about these tank engines is another one about their design, could another railway company theoretically be able to purchase this design of 2-4-2 tank engine from Sharp, Stewart and Company as an 'off the peg design? If so, did Sharp, Stewart and Company ever supply any tank engines to a similar or same design as the J1's on the Furness railway? Thank you and Kind regards Steven

Edited by GERDecapod
Making my question more understandable

• RMweb Premium

Sharp Stewart made 2-4-2Ts for the Barry Railway (their J class), but I think this was a Barry Railway design. The Barry Railways C class were also 2-4-2Ts, but these were built by Sharp Stewart as 2-4-0Ts and modified by the Barry Railway.

• Like 1

Thank you for the directions, I've already browsed the Cumbrian Railways Association website. Sadly I wasn't able to find any more information about the Furness J1's rebuild. Best regards

Edited by GERDecapod

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, GERDecapod said:

Thank you for the directions, I've already browsed the Cumbrian Railways Association website. Sadly I wasn't able to find any more information about the Furness J1's rebuild. Best regards

Have you tried making an enquiry? The CRA is stuffed full of people with oodles of knowledge about the Furness; you are far more likely to find out answers to your questions by talking to them than by asking here!