RMweb

roco 72000 making clicking noise

bluedepot

hi everyone 

my roco cc 72000 makes a rhythmical clicking noise - like wheel flats might sound, in both directions. the clicking speeds up in line with the loco speed. 

i have run it in and oiled it. 

any ideas? 

it is running in analogue. 

should i remove the traction tyres maybe and see it that helps?

i dont see anything physically impeding the wheels from turning. i looked at the brake blocks and under loco detailing. 

cheers 

tim

Hello Tim,

Oh dear, it sounds like a gear mounted on an axle has split.

You should be able to remove the keeper plate underneath the bogie to verify this.

It is VERY difficult or impossible to repair this if this is the case so you can either remove the gear wheel from the axle  and run the loco with five driven axles* or (properly) order a replacement from Roco or your importer.

Best of luck,

John 

* Maybe switch the affected axle to be a final axle in the bogie else the drive won’t pass along the drive train otherwise, it’s usually the centre axle that is affected.

• Agree 1

thanks allegheny for replying 

i will look at the gears to see if i can see any cracks or damage... 

it runs fine, just dreadful clicking noise...

i bought it at an auction a few weeks ago... 

i might send it away to someone who can service and repair roco locos properly.   can you recommend someone or any shops that do this?

cheers 

tim

update... 

ive had another look and a close listen... 

i think it is the worm gear or gear train at just one end that rattles / clicks. 

i looked at the axle gears but they don't look cracked or damaged or anything... just look normal... 

i may be completely wrong as i am not good at mechanics....

so anyway, I'll have to send it to a repair person... 

cheers

tim

14 hours ago, bluedepot said:

thanks allegheny for replying 

i will look at the gears to see if i can see any cracks or damage... 

it runs fine, just dreadful clicking noise...

i bought it at an auction a few weeks ago... 

i might send it away to someone who can service and repair roco locos properly.   can you recommend someone or any shops that do this?

cheers 

tim

Hi Tim,

I can’t help, myself, see my location! But I have heard good things about Trevor who works Saturdays in Arcadia Models, Shaw, Gtr. Manchester - if you’re close enough to call in (it would be awkward posting such a model especially if you didn’t buy it there). I used to be a regular customer.

I imagine most well known and established model shops should be able to help or at least recommend someone who can help. Also local clubs may be willing to assist but probably only if you’re a member.

Finally, you would need a very close visual inspection of any split gear, it’s only under load that it’s noticeable and of course, then you can’t see it.

Cheers,

John 

update...

it has 2 split gears! 

the roco part number i need is 132743 (or 132744 will do, can just remove the tyres... )

the bad news is none are in stock! 

does anyone have any suggestions? 

cheers 

tim

I'm not familiar with the CC72000 but have several other Roco CCs.

Easiest would be as @Allegheny1600 suggests above, just remove the broken gears and run the loco as a B1 1B rather than a CC. Most of my Roco BB locos will happily move ten coaches so the haulage shouldn't be greatly reduced and I wouldn't expect it to be a problem unless you are running really long trains. If you do this, and the axles with split gears have traction tires, swap the wheels with tires onto the good axle so as to have maximum traction and the unpowered wheels just collect power.

Alternatively you could look for a gear and swap it. You'll need the diameter of the axles and gear, number of teeth and width. I have used slot car pinions before, but getting the right size can be awkward.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, DIW said:

Try this site - they seem to have the 132744 in stock at the time of writing,  and the 132743 out of stock.

They are an outfit I have used in the past for parts to refurbish a Roco X2700 railcar set.

• 2 weeks later...

hi diw, elloco, allegheny 

the loco is back now and running ok as a bo bo. it just hauled 8 coaches on the level so seems ok! 

a and h models kindly sorted it out and removed the split gears. 

cheers for the link to that spares website diw that will be v useful! 

cheers everyone for the replies 

tim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I'm glad you've got it working - I didn't know if you would have been able to see the replies. The site was on its last gasp before falling over (March 20th), which is why I had to take two bites to get the whole message posted.