Lining of crimson and cream coaches

I have just built and painted a "Thanet" coach in crimson /cream and need advice on the correct lining to use. Fox Transfers list combinations of straw, black and yellow, and I'm confused as to which is correct. If it's any help the period is the mid 50s. Can anyone shed any light on this subject or point me in the direction of a reference source? Thanks

The official colour of the straw lining is Oxford Ochre. We put a touch of white when we line out our full size coaches to reduce the mustardy colour. 

The yellow colour, i wonder if that is meant to represent primrose yellow, as used on LMS liveried stock and also the lining on Gresleys, which also have a 1/ 16 line of vermileun red either side. 

BR used ochre to line both crimson and cream and crimson lake coaches. The same colour effectively was used by GW and LNWR as a stand-in for gold. The LMS used actual gold for corridor coaches and yellow for non corridor, with a red line each side.

BR never used straw, except as a lettering colour. The correct colour, as near enough in modelling terms, is a 50:50 mix of Humbrol Tan (9) and Gloss Yellow (69). Select a lining transfer that is close to that.

Ian R

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2