RMweb

YRV Bogie Bolster (S&T) - Typical loads?

• RMweb Premium

I’ve recently picked up a couple of Dapol’s YRV Bogie Bolster wagons with S&T markings:

AA312A25-BA26-49AE-A8F7-171221BBD8A0.thumb.jpeg.2e0f47eeb95fd452682ea36968936f31.jpeg

What would be a typical “S&T” load for one of these? I’m guessing things like cable drums or Signal posts?

• RMweb Premium

Yes to both, there are a couple of photos of loaded examples on Paul Bartlett's site

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brprawnyno

One small point, a YRV is a concrete trunking wagon, converted from Bogie Bolster E wagons with low sides. What Dapol have modelled is a YNO.

YRV wagons in this link

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brconcretetrough

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 20/06/2022 at 11:20, The Stationmaster said:

A long time ago on many parts of the railway.  I wonder when the last pole route went?

You are making me feel old as I remember an S&T colleague telling me how they used to erect replacement poles. Digging a narrow trench/hole with a sloped end from which the pole base would be inserted into the ground, then once the pole was vertical rotating it through 90 degrees so the arms were across under the wires, and how their supervisor insisted that the spoil from the hole was piled up in such a way that it could be returned to the ground sub soil first, 'top soil' last.

Edited by Trog
Spelling or lack there of.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A long time ago on many parts of the railway.  I wonder when the last pole route went?

There were alot of poles extant on the GN/GE joint line around Ruskington in the early 2000s, without wires though, which is something I planted on my layout, with a couple felled in the undergrowth...

2004, there is one almost hidden in the right arch of the bridge

156412f.thumb.JPG.4d894b6475c803bda5ad07c38ba3a079.JPG

2007, the next one towards the camera was laying on the bank next to the footbridge I was standing on.

66708_715_727_575d.thumb.JPG.1ac63c11fac8ff0558496ec378f9c8ca.JPG

• Like 2