RMweb

BR speed signs

I have many 7mm/ft plastic speed restriction signs I want to place on my layout.

I have painted the posts and number supports dark grey, and the actual numbers (5, 10, 25, 50) in yellow, as they are the colours I have observed (on the SVR!).

However, I have no idea what colour is applied to the ‘back’ of each speed sign - I have looked on the internet, but can’t find any photographs of the BACKS of these signs! I am just not sure they should also be yellow!

Can anyone give me a clue, please?

Bill

What period are you modelling? I believe yellow is a relatively recent thing, and my recollection up to 1968 and a short while beyond is white for the cut-out figures and any other symbols. 

From the BR: SR CCE Dept. Information sheet S.02.17.01.24 - Painting , issued in 1949 and amended Oct 1960, the following instruction was given: (my copy isn't that good, this is what I can make of it)

"Figures and Arrow’s, where provided to be (painted) white (approach side only). Supporting bar of figures and post to be green; alternatively black if convenient. This also applies to the back of figures and the arrows (if any)which must NOT be painted white."

• Agree 1

Thank you, everyone!

My layout depicts a preserved, heritage railway (the West Exeter Railway, where all types of locomotives from many regions can sometimes be seen), and is ‘the present day’, but I have mechanical signals controlled from good old-fashioned signal boxes with big levers. None of those electric signals here!

When I was at the SVR last weekend, I noticed that their speed restriction signs (where I could see them) were pale yellow on black, or very dark grey, supporting posts, but as I said I could not see the rear.

Actually, having the rear of the signs black is obvious, but I didn’t want to make a mistake, which is why I have asked the RMweb!

I think I will repaint my signs into a very pale yellow, almost white, satisfying everybody (I hope!).

Anyway, thank you all again. I find RMweb a very knowledgeable crowd of modellers.

All the very best,

Bill

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Sabato said:

What period are you modelling? I believe yellow is a relatively recent thing, and my recollection up to 1968 and a short while beyond is white for the cut-out figures and any other symbols. 

From the BR: SR CCE Dept. Information sheet S.02.17.01.24 - Painting , issued in 1949 and amended Oct 1960, the following instruction was given: (my copy isn't that good, this is what I can make of it)

"Figures and Arrow’s, where provided to be (painted) white (approach side only). Supporting bar of figures and post to be green; alternatively black if convenient. This also applies to the back of figures and the arrows (if any)which must NOT be painted white."

Talking to an old driver many moons ago, he said the stencil signs started to be painted yellow, from 1963 (following the infamous Winter of 1962/63), as the previously white painted signs, had been difficult, if not impossible to see, against the background of snow.  Seems logical to me.

Regards

Dan

It’s amazing! After having NEVER seen the rear of those old-fashioned metal speed signs (mainly because I’ve been sitting in a carriage on the train and not knowing when a speed restriction sign was going to appear!), tonight I have been watching a video filmed in 2019 of the Conwy Quest reopening train, and guess what, I had a superb view of the rear of exactly one of those signs as the train departed Chester!

I tend to agree with Dan about these signs being yellow so as to be seen better in snowy conditions, but I have now repainted my signs white, so that will have to do!

I think many preserved heritage railways follow the practice of whatever railway company formerly ran the line before closure, though bigger preserved lines may have their own regulations.

Anyway, I am definitely sticking with mechanical signals (all now rather expensive Dapol electrically operated home and junction signals), and have worked out a fairly simple way of interlocking them with their associated pointwork. I’ve got the signals only able to be pulled off if the point is set correctly at a junction, but I would need several relays to ensure that a train’s route was perfect before being able to pull off a starter or home signal, and my point motors (DCC Concepts slow-acting motors) only have two separate switches built into them which are now being used for interlocking! One day I may try using relays, but the spaghetti junction of wiring under my layout is almost impossible to follow now, let alone making it even more complicated!

Anyway, thank you everyone!

Bill

It was not unknown to have to create a needed stencil value in a hurry by cutting up two signs and bolting them together to get the desired result. I once spent an entire day doing this when it was realised on the Thursday that no one had ordered the stencils required for a linespeed increase project planned for that coming weekend.

• Friendly/supportive 1