Moving Functions

Free At Last

I am trying in decoder pro to move some of the function buttons to match another locos settings.

Both are recent Zimo sound decoders. 

I was trying to move the 'shunt mode' from F12 to F20 but there is no F20 in the drop down box. The decoder that has 'shunt mode' on F20 has 'reserved value 20'.
How do I achieve what I am trying to do?

1985161732_ShuntMode1.jpg.c2f1b36b85c4fe711a35ddef91da562d.jpg 

155351433_ShuntMode2.jpg.d216dd850e74ecfa4bfd7b1a6890a0fb.jpg

Edited by Free At Last

Options:

a)  Do it manually in the CV list table. 

b)  edit the decoder file to extend the function options for that feature.  Submit your update to the JMRI project. 

c)  wait for someone else to get round to editing the decoder file to extend the function options for the feature. 

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

12 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Options:

a)  Do it manually in the CV list table. 

b)  edit the decoder file to extend the function options for that feature.  Submit your update to the JMRI project. 

c)  wait for someone else to get round to editing the decoder file to extend the function options for the feature. 

- Nigel

Ok, Thanks.

Pete,

You can do this 'old school' with your DCC controller.

Use ZIMO's Input Mapping feature.

To put whatever is on F12 to F20, CV412 = 20

There may be something on F20 already, but you have not said. If so, all will now be on F20 which could be bad!

So, change what may originally be on F 20 to F 12; CV420 =12

You need to change the values in just 2 CVs as above, hardly worth switching on your computer for that.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks Paul, I think I may have sorted it, all new to me, looking on the decoder crib sheet I found CVs 155 &156 were to do with shunting speed and momentum so I changed these from 12 to 20 after first disabling what was previously on F20 (volume decrease) and when I looked again at the previously mentioned tabs (pics in OP) I now have 'reserved value' 20. I'll load it to the loco in the morning.
My most recent sound decoders came with active braking on F2 and I have managed to set this up on my other decoders but I wanted to go the whole hog and set all the function buttons like for like. 
A sprog and decoder pro have made this easy for me up to now.

Hi Pete,

I'm glad you found a workable solution for your project.

Yes, changing the values in CVs155 and 156 would achieve what you wish in bog standard sound projects without special features included. Not all ZIMO sound projects are created equal.

If the project was more complex, using features only available using ZIMO's scripting language, the outcome could  be different. Not because CV155 and 156 would not work (they would) but that any specific F key you remap in this way may alread be used in a script added by the sound project creator.

If this were the case, the script would be disrupted and would cease to provide the additional features incorporated and in some cases may cause the model to be temporarilly inoperable.

Because it's not always obvious that a project contains scripts*, it would be easy to cause problems inadvertantly.

Using Zimo Input Mapping as I outlined above would not interfere with any script if present as it does not actually change the project construction in any way, just the F key you actually press.  Since I did not know the sound projects involved, or their source, I gave details of the 'safe' method which works with simple or complex (scripted) projects.

*For example, any of my projects available only from Digitrains which have a section in the accompanying User Notes (also viewable on their website) which contain a section called 'Enhanced Features' (or similar) will contain one or more scripts in order to achieve outcomes simply not possible with standard ZIMO programming.

I can give some examples of 'Enhanced Features' if you wish.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 3

Hi Paul,

I re-programmed the loco and to me it now performs the same as the one I have with active braking and sound functions on different buttons, I want to standardize this on all my locos.  The only slip I did (I hope) was leaving the loop for shoveling coal on the button I had now put the whistle on but was quickly sorted.
I think this is about as far as I want to go at the moment, my head becomes a ball of chalk thinking about the complexities of it all with so many variables. I am pleased with myself that I have got this far in the couple of months I have been fitting sound.

Thank you for your help.