RMweb

North british railway class G / lner y9 North british livery.

Simon Moore

Evening all,

I'm planning to scratch build a North british saddle tank over the winter & I'm at a bit of a loss with the livery it would've carried. From what I can gather in the yeadon book they were introduced in the 1880s & I'm struggling on what livery they would have wore? I'm not sure the NBR freight black livery had crept in when they first arrived & wasn't sure if the preserved examples livery was correct or not? 

Can anyone possibly clear this up for me.

Thanks,

Simon

Edited by Simon Moore

The preserved example is exquisitely painted in a fictious livery - the NBR passenger livery

I don't know what kit you're building, but its also worth bearing in mind that the cab sides weren't added until LNER days in1931 

7 hours ago, Caledonian said:

The preserved example is exquisitely painted in a fictious livery - the NBR passenger livery

I don't know what kit you're building, but its also worth bearing in mind that the cab sides weren't added until LNER days in1931 

I'm not making a kit,it's a scratch build & thanks for the heads up. I'm actually doing the open cab as per the NBR prototype.

Regards

Simon

On 14/08/2022 at 09:35, Caledonian said:

There are a couple of photos of these tanks in one of the NBR Study Group’s excellent books on locos, and both show a degree of lining. Details of NBR liveries seem to be a bit scarce, perhaps because of the variations in the main colour, which no two observers could appear to agree as to what it was. It does seem that, until about 1912, there was no separate goods livery, until a lined black one was adopted. So it may not be impossible that the tanks would have been in lined passenger livery, the vaguely similar 0-4-0 tender locos certainly seemed to have carried it, but I wouldn’t put it past the company to have painted such locos, which were not often in the public eye, in some form of black. Other lines were known to have done this, even if the official liveries didn’t cater for it.

On 16/08/2022 at 17:09, Nick Holliday said:

There are a couple of photos of these tanks in one of the NBR Study Group’s excellent books on locos, and both show a degree of lining. Details of NBR liveries seem to be a bit scarce, perhaps because of the variations in the main colour, which no two observers could appear to agree as to what it was. It does seem that, until about 1912, there was no separate goods livery, until a lined black one was adopted. So it may not be impossible that the tanks would have been in lined passenger livery, the vaguely similar 0-4-0 tender locos certainly seemed to have carried it, but I wouldn’t put it past the company to have painted such locos, which were not often in the public eye, in some form of black. Other lines were known to have done this, even if the official liveries didn’t cater for it.

Thanks Nick,

It has been interesting to say the least researching North british liveries. I have a old book on british railway liveries & the goods black didn't come in until later on. I suppose if no one knows for sure then it could end up in a brown or green colour.

Thanks,

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Seeing Burtisland 1883 at the Warley show at the NEC some years ago, I commented to one of the front-of-stage explicators that no two engines were the same shade of green; he replied that for the period, that was prototypical! 

• 4 weeks later...