Sprog 3 problem - COM port issue

New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

I've just tried to use my Sprog 3 for the first time in ages, but when opening Decoder Pro it can't find the Sprog port - it says it can't find Port 3 but the computer says this is in use already, and shows the Sprog in port 4.  I just cannot get it to recognise the Sprog in this port - or any of the 3 USB ports.  It used to work just fine on the laptop previously.

Hellppp!

Please bear in mind I am a computer ignoramus.

PS - Win 10

Edited by New Haven Neil

The allocation of Com Port numbers is purely a software thing inside your computer.  They do not correspond to any specific USB socket, and the actual number allocated is arbitrary.     You just need to know that your Sprog has been given "COM4" or whatever and that's the value you set in any software you are using.     You can see the details of anything connected in the "Device Manager"  (type that in at the start menu to find it) - plug and unplug the Sprog to the USB socket, and you can see it being allocated its COM-number.   

That the manuals for software may show things with COM3 is just the value that was allocated when the person who took the screenshots was doing things.     

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

If decoder pro was previously set to use COM 3 with the Sprog I take it you have been into settings and changed it to COM 4? I’ve got caught out like that in the distant past!

Bob

• RMweb Premium

I haven't changed anything knowingly, when I open JMRI I get this - COM3 not in use at this time?  I don't recall setting anything in the software, but I haven't used th Sprog for a long time - I can't find anywhere to change it?

sprog.JPG.4a58f262aae7dc0614546a18f4770644.JPG

• RMweb Premium

You need to change the setting in your software  (JMRI/DecoderPro or whatever) so that it knows to use COM4 not 3. You can't easily change Windows to use COM3 instead of 4.

From a quick Google I can't find a specific instructions on how to do this, will have another look later.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Thanks 1

As SpamCan said.....   Change the preferences in JMRI (or any other application you are using) to use COM4.     The preferences screen will almost certainly be automatically opened from where you are, alongside the main application window.  

As to where is COM3:  something you plugged into Windows at some point in the past was allocated COM3 by the computer.   When you plug that thing in again, it will get COM3 allocated to it.   There are ways of digging in the depths of Windows to find and change the COM port allocations, you really really don't want to go there (it starts with the Registry Editor, and quickly becomes a table of hex characters).  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

To change the COM port open JMRI/Decoder pro, choose 'Edit' from the top menu, then preferences, which will bring up this window, with 'connections' at the top which will then display. The COM port is in the centre and can be changed via a drop down menu.

1135552664_RMwebSprog04.jpg.f77fc936e22606ab373c676b2050c90f.jpg

You'll be prompted to shut down JMRI for the changes to take effect. On re-boot of JMRI it should then use the COM port set.

HTH.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

I've been away :)

There seems to be some confusion. The JMRI error is "not found" not "in use" or "not in use". The device manager screen shot seems to show that show hidden devices option is selected (some of the devices are greyed out) so COM5 and COM7 have been used for something in the past, but COM3 is not allocated to anything.

As other have said, simply edit the JMRI connection preferences to COM4 and then use the same physical USB socket each time you connect the SPROG.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

You can't easily change Windows to use COM3 instead of 4.

From a quick Google I can't find a specific instructions on how to do this, will have another look later.

It's quite easy, but it can cause problems, so unless anyone really want to know, and can't find the solution, I will say edit the JMRI connection preferences.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Izzy said:

To change the COM port open JMRI/Decoder pro, choose 'Edit' from the top menu, then preferences, which will bring up this window, with 'connections' at the top which will then display. The COM port is in the centre and can be changed via a drop down menu.

1135552664_RMwebSprog04.jpg.f77fc936e22606ab373c676b2050c90f.jpg

You'll be prompted to shut down JMRI for the changes to take effect. On re-boot of JMRI it should then use the COM port set.

HTH.

Bob

For whatever reason, I just hadn't spotted this screen - that's sorted it!

Thanks to everyone who posted help, very much appreciated.

After all that - the decoder is dead! Such is life.