RMweb

Fixing net to level crossing gates

• RMweb Gold

I have the MSE whitemetal leverl crossing kit. The kit supplies a nylon mesh to represent the wire mesh of the real thing.

I have tried various ways to fixing this mesh to the whitemetal without success. Glue is not good as it is thick,  just looks lumpy and awful. I did try using paint, but without success. Varnish was just too runny.

Part of the problem is that the nylon mesh is so very flexible, so holding it while any glue dries is tricky. And, of course, the gates are not flat, being blessed with hinges, bolts and strapping.

My latest idea is to try spraymount adhesive or perhaps epoxy carefully applied thinly with a cocktail stick.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Ian

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of ideas come to mind.  Neither of which I have tried in this context though.

- Use a scalpel to cut thin strips of double-sided tape.  Apply strips of various lengths around the opening before pressing the mesh into place.

- Use a soldering iron to melt the nylon.

Rather than achieving a complete fix in one go, use either of the above methods to spot fix the mesh into place before using adhesive, paint or varnish to finish.

I've used the same kit, I think the mesh supplied, for me, was unusable, I used etched brass in stead, cannot remember where it came from, I think it was Scale Link, photo of a modified gate from the kit but with bars, as the entrance to a private siding. 

IMG_0622.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, fulton said:

I've used the same kit, I think the mesh supplied, for me, was unusable, I used etched brass in stead, cannot remember where it came from, I think it was Scale Link, photo of a modified gate from the kit but with bars, as the entrance to a private siding. 

IMG_0622.JPG

I think I have the same problem! I'll try scalelink

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have solved this now.I did try scalelink (actually now called fretcetera) but I would still have had the same fixing issues.

Last night I tried humbrol gloss varnish and the supplied netting. Lightly bushed on and fixed at one end first and when that had dried, fixed the other end and the sides.  And I remembered to paint the black ironwork first too.  I'll now give an overall light spray of matt varnish and we're done.  Just got to mount on the motorising mechanism which is all made and ready to go.  I'll post that on my layout thread over the weekend.

Ian

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2