RMweb

Has anyone else had Hornbys 4 wheel coaches turn their lights on by themselves?

Bit of a strange question but its a bit of a strange situation. 

I was testing my layout earlier and I had my two Hornby 4 wheelers in the siding next to the running line. On occasion, often as the train passed, the lights in one or both of the coaches would switch on.  The lighting units in these are activated by magnets in the roof, and half the time they don't even respond to waving a magnet over them. So to have them activate almost randomly is very strange. 

Is this a known fault with the product, or is it caused by the controller or the loco perhaps? 

Is it a particular loco on the train each time, or any loco/train combo that does it?

Just a wild stab in the dark, it's not a loco with an old-fashioned open-frame motor is it?  That would have large magnet mounted near roof height of the carriages so might be a little "leaky".

16 hours ago, frobisher said:

Is it a particular loco on the train each time, or any loco/train combo that does it?

Just a wild stab in the dark, it's not a loco with an old-fashioned open-frame motor is it?  That would have large magnet mounted near roof height of the carriages so might be a little "leaky".

Tested with all my Locos and it only seems to be my Bachmann 57xx that triggers the lights. 2012 model I think. 

• Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

I'd just isolate the power feed to the siding with a switch. Normally the points would do this, but it depends on how they're wired.

The lighting in the Hornby Generic 4&6 wheel coaches is powered by batteries, not via the track.