RMweb

Chassis and Real prototype measurement help.

Hello, can someone please supply me with the measurements of a Hornby M7, D16 and W4 Peckett alongside EFE Rail Beatle Tank chassis, in millimetres.

I also need measurements for a Caledonian 439 0-4-4T.

I require these for a project I’m doing for my Year 12 Design & Technology Class, that involves producing bodyshells of more obscure types available for already existing chassis.

If anyone is interested in what locomotives I’m planning, than feel free to ask.

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with the project, Gunzle, but I suspect you will find that detail on these chassis will make them only suitable for a very limited range of alternative bodyshells.  One does not want to see a return to the 50s and 60s (and the 70s for Hornby and Lima) when bodyshell toolings were distorted to fit crude poorly detailed generic RTR chassis, and even where axle spacing and wheel size would allow this with reasonable accuracy, different firebox, brake, sandbox, coupling rod (plain, fluted, fishbelly), wheel spoke, and balance weight and similar detail discrepancies between classes.  Sadly there’s more to it than axle spacing!

• Agree 1