RMweb

LNWR wooden station buildings in South Wales and goods sheds.

Richard_A

• RMweb Gold

Can some one help me with a few questions please?

Firstly looking at the sectional wooden buildings, would the window sections be replicated on both the platform and road sides?

Would the goods sheds be built from locally won stone or be brick built?

I have a few books on the LNWR lines in South Wales but they are light on images of both sides of station buildings and the goods facilities.

My interest is in the Swansea area if this would help with any answers.

• 2 months later...

On 30/01/2023 at 17:44, rka said:

Can some one help me with a few questions please?

Firstly looking at the sectional wooden buildings, would the window sections be replicated on both the platform and road sides?

Would the goods sheds be built from locally won stone or be brick built?

I have a few books on the LNWR lines in South Wales but they are light on images of both sides of station buildings and the goods facilities.

My interest is in the Swansea area if this would help with any answers.

I’ve just come across this query and it seems to be unanswered. Firstly “LNWR portrayed” by Jack Nelson is the best guide to wooden buildings, the drawings concentrate on the platform side but the street side appears to be the same except for fewer doors, possibly just the entrance door. Goostrey station (Cheshire) is a fine surviving example and Google street view shows the street, or rather car park, side. 
I don’t much about South  Wales, the only book I have is “the origins of the LMS in South Wales”. It shows that wooden station buildings very common on the ex LNWR lines but no useful pictures of good sheds. Unless anyone knows differently I would think  brick is most likely. 

• Like 1