Class 08 converted to snow plough.

We had a day out to the GC gala at the weekend. I always like to buy something but all that caught my eye was a pair of kitmaster 08’s at £1 each. 

I’ve always had in mind to make one of the snowploughs if I ever came across one of these. 

A trawl through the internet doesn’t produce much showing them actually in use, in fact the only thing I found seemed to indicate they were more of a liability than anything else. 

Were these meant for clearing depots and sidings? The wheels with their balance weights but no connecting rods must have made them ungainly ponderous beasts when out clearing main lines. 

The large independent snowploughs had some restrictions as to locomotives that could propel them. Was there similar restrictions for these ploughs?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, LNERGE said:

We had a day out to the GC gala at the weekend. I always like to buy something but all that caught my eye was a pair of kitmaster 08’s at £1 each. 

I’ve always had in mind to make one of the snowploughs if I ever came across one of these. 

A trawl through the internet doesn’t produce much showing them actually in use, in fact the only thing I found seemed to indicate they were more of a liability than anything else. 

Were these meant for clearing depots and sidings? The wheels with their balance weights but no connecting rods must have made them ungainly ponderous beasts when out clearing main lines. 

The large independent snowploughs had some restrictions as to locomotives that could propel them. Was there similar restrictions for these ploughs?

Evening Richard 

They were supposed to be the same as independents but were terrible 

There is some pictures in a book I have of one derailed on the whitby branch

Don't know who thought it was a good idea as 08s don't ride well anyway.  They were slightly before my time so I didn't work with them so I don't know what speed they were. I sincerely hope they weren't 45mph like the BR standard independent ploughs 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the biggest fault with them was they were unstable at (any) speed - high centre of gravity and no real weight above bufferbeam level to keep them 'flat'.

As mentioned above, the cl.08 running-gear was notoriously bad anyway

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, russ p said:

Evening Richard 

They were supposed to be the same as independents but were terrible 

There is some pictures in a book I have of one derailed on the whitby branch

Don't know who thought it was a good idea as 08s don't ride well anyway.  They were slightly before my time so I didn't work with them so I don't know what speed they were. I sincerely hope they weren't 45mph like the BR standard independent ploughs 

There is mention of the Whitby ploughing here..

https://features.rcts.org.uk/diesel-dilemmas/snowplough-class-08s/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

There is mention of the Whitby ploughing here..

https://features.rcts.org.uk/diesel-dilemmas/snowplough-class-08s/

That's the picture Richard.  I know Bob (Robert in the article) his book is fantastic. 

When you look at it ,it doesn't seem to offer much advantage over miniature ploughs on a loco.

Visibility round it must have been awful.  A bug bear of mine as network rail don't manage vegetation but I'm supposed to learn out to see road ahead at night with a 66!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LNERGE said:

As far as I'm aware the restrictions were to avoid locos with bogie-mounted buffers (44, 45, 46) and other chassis peculiarities being used because the buffing shocks caused by hitting a drift were taken on the bogie pivots. 

That said, my ex-York driver boss said that 44s were always the loco of choice for ploughing (if you could get away with it) because the cab heaters were 'epic'. Second choice was a pair of 20s coupled cab to cab because you could actually see what you were doing. They jnvariably ended up with something else though. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, russ p said:

That's the picture Richard.  I know Bob (Robert in the article) his book is fantastic. 

When you look at it ,it doesn't seem to offer much advantage over miniature ploughs on a loco.

Visibility round it must have been awful.  A bug bear of mine as network rail don't manage vegetation but I'm supposed to learn out to see road ahead at night with a 66!

Hi Russ

I’ve reported vegetation locally after I saw a branch cause a flashover across an insulator. Nothing happened until about two weeks ago ( about nine months after reporting) Now it looks like there is a scorched earth policy on SBR1. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

Now stuffed with plasticine it has spent the afternoon into the evening being propelled around… so far without incident. 

Cracking job Richard 

• Like 3

I have a second Kitmaster 08 that will get that treatment in due couse. Unfortunately the axles were glued on this second one and i suspect it wont take too kindly to me pushing the back to back gauge in. I got away with it on the first one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2023 at 18:28, russ p said:

Just been looking at those pictures on RCTS link it seems some had radiators completely removed and other just had a plate over where the grille was 

The second plough is under way. This one has the radiator removed. 

496B1BD6-493C-4EDC-A6BC-0074D52673C7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

Thank you Russ. Perhaps a lot of effort for something that will rarely move but the railway i remember had lots of interesting bits sitting in odd corners..

I've got quite a few  vehicles which rarely move but they add to the general ambience 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Johann Marsbar said:

This was the one that used to live at March Depot, seen in the late 1970's......

BR50.jpg.52800adf7618ffad6a673307b22dfc40.jpg

That looks so unstable even standing still I'm surprised it's not on its side!

I was at Derby a few years back and the BR independents were being rebuilt and with the side plating off was obvious that they were built on V2 tender frames

17 minutes ago, russ p said:

That looks so unstable even standing still I'm surprised it's not on its side!

I was at Derby a few years back and the BR independents were being rebuilt and with the side plating off was obvious that they were built on V2 tender frames

The official book of words and pictures mentions they were converted from LNER 4200 gallon tenders. 

6776F2AE-6A32-466E-8C94-2A69AD9EEF64.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

In no other industry is an individual expected to apply over 3000 horsepower and charge at a snowdrift. If you get stopped, pull back and repeat.

They should really only be used with 37s as they are the only things that give a view around them even if it's tiny . But as network rail don't seem to be able to manage vegetation it's not safe to lean out especially at night 

• Like 1