RMweb

Sound Decoders.

Paul_C

I am looking to fit sound decoders into my two class 73s but I've recently read of a number of problems with ESU fittings. I know this can be a bit of a minefield as a topic but I'm not sure now whether to go ahead or take a look at the alternatives with Zimo being the obvious one or maybe the new Hornby range. Thoughts please.

Paul_C

I am curious as to what problems you have read about?

73s are not really my thing so I am guessing that these are Hornby 8 pin models?

I do not know too much about what the newer Hornby decoders offer, but there are some things to look for:

TTS decoders only produce the engine sound plus 1 concurrent 'spot' sound, which can be horn, compressor, flange squeal, etc. Zimo/ESU produce 4 concurrent 'spot' sounds. I think the new range will support 2.

TTS does not support advanced consisting, but I am not sure if you would need this with a 73.

TTS does not allow adjustment to sync exhaust beats with wheel revs (this is irrelevant with D&E but I thought it was worth a mention anyway).

TTS will only work with a 8ohm speaker load. This can limit speaker choice a little.

I would be interested to find out more about this new range before making my choice.

HM7000 sound decoders will play background noise plus two other channels.
Class 73 is dual mode with engine sounds switchable between diesel and electric on the hoof.

There is provision for consisting by way of CV19, including nose to nose reversal.

Decoders come with an ESU type small rectangular speaker and build your own enclosure. Same sort of thing Roads and Rails are flogging.

There are several advanced features such as auto-profiling of motors and PID adjustment, coupling assist shuffle, manual dynamic brake, shunt speed reduction, support for ADCC/ABC, auto-sound play function in either stationary or moving scenarios.

Up to 6 aux functions depending upon pin configuration

Blah blah …

• Informative/Useful 1

Pete, the problems apparently were more to do with units that have two power cars. A friend is having difficulty with synchronising the two so they run at the same speed. He also finds that when shunting at slow speed things do not go accordingly.

Paul.