Hornby Class 29 issues

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I have 2 Hornby class 29 locos. Both the engines run well when battery placed on them but when put on the track they don't want to work. I have serviced both locos but no improvement. When placed on track if i push down on train it does move, if that provides any clues to anyone.

Any help much appreciated.

Are these the older Margate models (green D6103/6110 / blue 6124/6142) or the later Chinese-made versions (green D6119/6130 / blue D6129/6137)? The Chinese models had improved electrical pick-up all round.

When you say they run with the battery placed on them do you mean battery against the motor brush spring retainers? If so then the motors are clearly fine and it's a pick-up issue. This is far more likely on the early Margate models as the current collection arrangement was, er, rudimentary and their age will probably have something to do with it too by now (Hornby diesels of this vintage didn't have pick-up strips, @Robert Shrives was probably thinking Lima😉!)

Current is collected directly by axle/cast bogie block contact (with the two bogies connected by a single wire) so these contact areas needs to be kept clean. The trailing bogie is easiest to deal with as it can be readily dismantled to clean the axles and the bearing grooves in the cast block (use a small round file or folded abrasive paper and rub gently until shiny). If this alone doesn't cure the problem the motor bogie will need to be tackled, as there may be too much non-conductive oil and/or crud in the brass sleeves the axles run in. This one is trickier to clean as it will be necessary to remove the axles by levering the geared wheels off - I use a pair of study tweezers between wheel and block to lever the wheel off evenly, it can be done with a screwdriver but apply a little pressure at a time all round to avoid inducing a wobble when reassembled (this works well with these Hornby diesel wheels as they come off quite easily - Lima wheels just won't budge!) Once they're off clean the axles and run a few wooden cocktail sticks through the brass axle bearings in the motor block (soaking the first one in white spirit or thinners may help) until they come out clean. Reassemble the axles in the block by pressing the wheels back on between finger and thumb, checking the back-to-backs and that the gears have re-engaged correctly. If the electrical path from railhead to motor is clear and the motor runs this should cure the issue. Just remember that the geared wheels on one bogie need to be diagonally opposite those on the other!

If your Class 29s don't do 'high mileages' axle lubrication probably isn't necessary, otherwise use an electrically-conductive oil such as Peco Electro-Lube (do they still make that? I haven't looked lately as I've had mine a loooooooong time....!🙂)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi yes thinking Lima sorry but same game as Halvarras correctly says cleaning second bogie likely to be the key.  sorry to have muddied the waters - unless you have some lima locos of course - check out peters spares for replacment wheelsets for the "pizza cutters."

Robert 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi yes thinking Lima sorry but same game as Halvarras correctly says cleaning second bogie likely to be the key.  sorry to have muddied the waters - unless you have some lima locos of course - check out peters spares for replacment wheelsets for the "pizza cutters."

Robert 

Pizza cutters?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

Are these the older Margate models (green D6103/6110 / blue 6124/6142) or the later Chinese-made versions (green D6119/6130 / blue D6129/6137)? The Chinese models had improved electrical pick-up all round.

When you say they run with the battery placed on them do you mean battery against the motor brush spring retainers? If so then the motors are clearly fine and it's a pick-up issue. This is far more likely on the early Margate models as the current collection arrangement was, er, rudimentary and their age will probably have something to do with it too by now (Hornby diesels of this vintage didn't have pick-up strips, @Robert Shrives was probably thinking Lima😉!)

Current is collected directly by axle/cast bogie block contact (with the two bogies connected by a single wire) so these contact areas needs to be kept clean. The trailing bogie is easiest to deal with as it can be readily dismantled to clean the axles and the bearing grooves in the cast block (use a small round file or folded abrasive paper and rub gently until shiny). If this alone doesn't cure the problem the motor bogie will need to be tackled, as there may be too much non-conductive oil and/or crud in the brass sleeves the axles run in. This one is trickier to clean as it will be necessary to remove the axles by levering the geared wheels off - I use a pair of study tweezers between wheel and block to lever the wheel off evenly, it can be done with a screwdriver but apply a little pressure at a time all round to avoid inducing a wobble when reassembled (this works well with these Hornby diesel wheels as they come off quite easily - Lima wheels just won't budge!) Once they're off clean the axles and run a few wooden cocktail sticks through the brass axle bearings in the motor block (soaking the first one in white spirit or thinners may help) until they come out clean. Reassemble the axles in the block by pressing the wheels back on between finger and thumb, checking the back-to-backs and that the gears have re-engaged correctly. If the electrical path from railhead to motor is clear and the motor runs this should cure the issue. Just remember that the geared wheels on one bogie need to be diagonally opposite those on the other!

If your Class 29s don't do 'high mileages' axle lubrication probably isn't necessary, otherwise use an electrically-conductive oil such as Peco Electro-Lube (do they still make that? I haven't looked lately as I've had mine a loooooooong time....!🙂)

Followed your advice and got one up and running. Also saw a youtube video on a dead one that was helpful. Thanks for everyone's advice. Lima are so much more straightforward to work on.

Edited by barney121e

'Pizza cutters' = Lima wheels with deep flanges!

I also find Lima motors much easier to service - I don't like Hornby's clip-on motor bogie face plate (I've broken these in the past, Lima's screws much better) and external small brass spur gear which makes removal of the armature difficult. Oh, and the small wheels - I have a Hornby 29, two 25s and two Hymeks fitted with Lima motors and trailing wheels of 14mm diameter which makes a big visual difference, but requires adjusted ride heights, i.e. bodies lowered which means it's quite a lot of work. The 29 and 25s (actually one is now a 24) use a Lima motor with 34mm wheelbase and 14mm wheels, a type used by Lima in continental models but not UK OO (Elaine's Trains* have a few in stock right now, and axle pick-ups to suit, but they require armature, carbon brushes/springs and face plate swapping in from another motor). Not that you'll want to go that far I'm sure 😁!

*No connection, just a happy customer.