Kitbashing an OO-gauge 1998 Bachmann N-class

I've just put an order through to Hattons for a second-hand Bachmann 'split-chassis' ex-SECR N-class, as part of a kitbashing project I fancy taking on, styled after @Corbs "Sudrian Histories" locos.

My idea is that one of the post-war 'Woolwich' kit engines was purchased by a 'light railway' somewhere in East Anglia (in the style of Colonel Stephens' empire), and ends up getting various detail differences (new paintjob at minimum, maybe a new smokebox door or cab) to distinguish it from the rest of the N's.

I'm just seeing if there's any advice that anyone is willing to share about the feasibility?

• Like 2

I don't see why not, on the large end of things for the Colonel to buy but he bought large things for use in Anglia anticipating a boom in post war Kent coal traffic, at least I think that's why he bought Hecate and the Radial tank. A cut down or replaced tender might suit a Wooley either for greater visibility as this line is unlikely to have turning facilities, or the railway only purchased the kit of bits for the engine and give it an older six or four wheel tender. It's unconventional but far from unfeasible or unrealistic given the locos various actual light railways did end up with and sounds a fun project.

Thanks; I'm currently planning ahead, to find out the bits I'll need; obviously a replacement for the smokebox door is one- but I'm not sure what would be an apt replacement, or if the door on one of those old Bachmann loco's is even a separate piece.

Also, in my head I'm thinking that at some point after being built, during one of its' overhauls it had the Maunsell cab replaced by an LNER Group Standard cab, for better weather protection.

• RMweb Gold

The smokebox door is separate :) one of the things I considered was cutting off the 'dogs' around the door and replacing with a conventional smokebox door dart to change the look of the front end. Hope it goes well!

9 hours ago, Corbs said:

The smokebox door is separate :) one of the things I considered was cutting off the 'dogs' around the door and replacing with a conventional smokebox door dart to change the look of the front end. Hope it goes well!

Grand to hear; thanks for letting me know!

Now I just need to settle on a 'house colour' for the railway...

On 21/03/2023 at 08:46, NZRedBaron said:

I've just put an order through to Hattons for a second-hand Bachmann 'split-chassis' ex-SECR N-class, as part of a kitbashing project I fancy taking on, styled after @Corbs "Sudrian Histories" locos.

The Bachmann N class loco was NOT split chassis - it was one of the first "Blue Riband" models. The chassis is conventional with a Buhler motor positioned vertically inside the firebox

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Corbs how is the door fixed ? does it just plug in and can it be removed without taking the body off the chassis?

Starting to doubt myself now but I think I removed it by putting a screwdriver in the boiler and ramming it on to the desk to pop it off, but the body isn't hard to take off the chassis, just a few screws.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OFFTHE RAILS said:

The Bachmann N class loco was NOT split chassis - it was one of the first "Blue Riband" models. The chassis is conventional with a Buhler motor positioned vertically inside the firebox

It was listed as 'split chassis' at Hattons; and unlike Hornby, Bachmann doesn't exactly make it easy to look through their back catalogues- esp given it's listed as a model from 1998.

We have an early one and its Not split chassis, vertical Buhler motor etc  The give away is you can see axle ends on non split chassis while there is no axle end visible on Split Chassis.   The wheels always look too small to me on the Bachmann N, Our never fimished kit built one has 22mm Romfords and they look a lot bigger,  Maybe an illusion but the Bachmann  look 5ft 2" ish instead of 5ft 6".

idea is that one of the post-war 'Woolwich' kit engines was purchased by a 'light railway' somewhere in East Anglia (in the style of Colonel Stephens' empire), and ends up getting various detail differences 

I'm just seeing if there's any advice that anyone is willing to share about the feasibility?

A couple of independent railways bought N's  the Metropolitan who added a bunker and trailing bogie and  the MGW later GSR in Ireland who bought 27 as kits and changed them to 5ft 3" (?) Irish gauge and also fitted 6 with 6ft wheels like a U boat.   Post WW1 the N was the only off the shelf UK large Mixed traffic loco available for an independent railway to purchase, but the key is large, they were much bigger than a 1920s light railway could use, heavier axleload than the ROD 2-8-0's which were also available, I believe larger minimum radius , and not optimised for the 25MPH scheduled speed's of LIght Railways.    But they would have been perfect for the M&GN and a damn sight better than 2Ps and 4F for the S&D and would have been near ideal had the M&SWJR become joint LMS/SR not GWR.   Its just finding a big and long enough independent railway to warrant one or half a dozen   

various detail differences (new paintjob at minimum, maybe a new smokebox door or cab) to distinguish it from the rest of the N's.

A better smokebox door would  be sensible so the lads could open it without a spanner. Longer chimney off something else bodged on when the original got damaged or a shorter one because the original was too tall, lowered cab rood or rounded edges (a La LBSC and LNWR types post grouping)   Larger cab (GWR 43XX/ 93XX)  side window cab (Scottish K2s)   Tank engine conversion (Metropolitan) .   A set of 4ft 8" driving wheels would make one more suitable for heavy goods on a short railway.     I guess as the HR had basically similar 4-4-0 (Snaigo) and 4-6-0 (clan goods) versions of the same loco  someone could have created a 4-4-0 from the N or at least the main parts.   You could change the tender, though the SECR type is the one I believe the Woolwich built Moguls used and use  the SECR tender behind something else.   The N would look good with a cow catcher for India or Oz  though Richmond Vale RODs didn't have them,  Its something I toyed with for my still unstarted Isle of Skye railway  but the loco is too big for me.   Adams radials minus tanks and the like is more likely, surplus GWR saddletanks,  Dean Goods, Metros etc with massive side window cabs.  Oh heck where's my hacksaw I feel a Hornby 2721 is due for the chop

14 hours ago, Corbs said:

I think I removed it by putting a screwdriver in the boiler and ramming it on to the desk to pop it off

I tried this on an Airfix/GMR 'Castle' years ago because the factory had glued the smokebox door on at a jaunty angle - the screwdriver went straight through it! I hadn't realised how thin it was.........but perhaps I shouldn't have used the sharp end 😕!

Can't recall now whether I managed to shift it, but I do remember filling the hole with Miliput!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...