Prototype Refurbished DMU - Demonstration Tour

EddieK

In 1974, the prototype refurbished DMU, a Metro Cammell triple set emerged from Doncaster Works and embarked on a tour of the network to demonstrate what could be done to refurbish the DMU fleet.

Where / when did it visit on its tour?

• RMweb Premium

Take a look at wonderfully informative railcar.co.uk website. Here is the relevant page: https://railcar.co.uk/type/class-101/refurbishment

If there is a particular area or range of dates you are interested in that isn't mentioned in that web page, the unit was widely photographed so I am sure someone can help you.

Edited by Jeremy C

On 04/04/2023 at 13:07, Jeremy C said:

Take a look at wonderfully informative railcar.co.uk website. Here is the relevant page: https://railcar.co.uk/type/class-101/refurbishment

If there is a particular area or range of dates you are interested in that isn't mentioned in that web page, the unit was widely photographed so I am sure someone can help you.

Did the unit tour any part of the Western Region?

On the argument I saw it pass westwards through Salisbury towards Westbury, then yes on at least one part of the Western Region.

Can't give you a date as no longer have the notebooks, but we did make a specific trip to Salisbury to see it we knew it was coming.

/ continued

At that period Portsmouth / Bristol was a 50/50 mix of SR DEMU and WR DMMU and iirc that's why it was in that part of the world, refurbled units in general (not necessarily MetCamms) were being talked about as a counter to criticism of units on that route; there were as many WR suburban units as cross country units in practice, and never mind the non gangwayed DEMU, the route was in for a lots of criticism at the time, notwithstanding it had just gone from 2/3 through trains a day to every 2 hours.

Edited by D7666

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, EddieK said:

Did the unit tour any part of the Western Region?

Yes, it was shown off to members of the Marlow/Maidenhead Passengers' Association and other interested parties at Reading but I can't give an exact date.

• Like 1