Virgin Trains Loco Hauled workings in 2000s

Just double checking the facts but would I be right in thinking that the Mk2 sets were mostly all used on the West Midlands services while the Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow services mostly used Mk3s? 

Were services all using DVTs at this point as the Class 390s were bring introduced or was there some loco release shunts performed at Euston, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc? 

14 minutes ago, aictosphotos said:

Just double checking the facts but would I be right in thinking that the Mk2 sets were mostly all used on the West Midlands services while the Liverpool, Manchester and Glasgow services mostly used Mk3s? 

Were services all using DVTs at this point as the Class 390s were bring introduced or was there some loco release shunts performed at Euston, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc? 

Your understanding is correct, though there were exceptions.

There was a Carlisle semi-fast that was a Mk2F working and I think another terminating at Lancaster.

Mk2F sets did replace Mk3 sets as required - there's a pic of one on the Royal Scot in around 2000.

The WCML services were all supposed to be push-pull, but not infrequent TDM failures meant locos would run-round/shunt release and haul conventionally many times.

Wikipedia seems think that the Mk2s were removed from service in 2003 and the Mk3s following in 2005 so would it be safe to say that in 2004, other than the gradual introduction of the Class 390s, the Virgin Trains Loco Hauled services were all Mk3s from 2004 onwards?

On 19/05/2023 at 10:48, hexagon789 said:

Your understanding is correct, though there were exceptions.

There was a Carlisle semi-fast that was a Mk2F working and I think another terminating at Lancaster.

Mk2F sets did replace Mk3 sets as required - there's a pic of one on the Royal Scot in around 2000.

The WCML services were all supposed to be push-pull, but not infrequent TDM failures meant locos would run-round/shunt release and haul conventionally many times.

A number of exceptions as you say.  I used to work near Euston in 1999/2000 and tended to wander onto the west side of the station at lunchtime.  There was a Liverpool train (1303 I think) which was Mk2s headed by an 86 every time I saw it.

Edited by DY444