Modifying and scratchbuilding with 3D prints

1 minute ago, virginhst539 said:

Think i have a book with a scale drawing of this and other RTC stuff. Infact i have a spare copy of it if its of any intrest to you

Very much so!

A slight change in approach. Looking at the prototype there is a join seam behind the cab doors. So, given the complexity of cutting bits out of the roof I am trying a new approach…

IMG_1713.jpeg.24fa85fd1b17e519f61c0331db08fd60.jpeg

• Like 4

73/9s is going to be an interesting one to watch. the club I'm a member of are building Haymarket next so might well be in for a couple of them when the time comes. mentors looking a cracker of a kit, got a set of etched sides stashed away in the to do pile but I am tempted by the print once the build backlogs been cleared 

The sleeper version of 73/9 will need a bit more surgery to cut the cab roof away over the door and I think I will try and do a second version of the body with those additional roof recesses and equipment added!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

Starting to come together.....

image.png.ec2a54add4309b81b8ed5b515645647d.png

Nice one Andy. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KDG said:

Nice one Andy. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist.

😁 Never really resisting! More the back of my mind working out how it might be done!!

Edited by LMSfan72
  • Like 1

Nearly there with the GBRF version. The two double louvre grills need work as the STL mesh fixer decided they weren't there! I should be in a position to try a trial print this weekend...

image.png.e3a5546d8295fc5b7b52a7c62cc6b801.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I think the only difference for the sleeper version, other than the cab roof, is that the remaining windows have now been fitted with louvred grills but they remain the same shape

On 09/03/2024 at 11:26, LMSfan72 said:

First test print of the early Mentor. Need to tweak some supports but I am happy with it.

IMG_1704.jpeg.7e97089a7f03491291df5574bcb370e0.jpeg

I’m now running the later version with the rectangular spot lights that ran in RTC and also early Railtrack liveries

So, with help from those in the know I have identified 5 different print versions of the body and different ends, approximate years:

1974 - 1986 as originally converted with round spotlights and window lights

1986 - 1990 similar to above but with some of the MK1 window light windows replaced with the more modern ones

1990 - 2003 the spot lights change to the square modern type

2003 - 2013 most of the other Mk1 windows replaced

2013 - to date the full refurb that I had already done. Minor roof changes happen overtime though

The ends stay similar through much of it to 2013 but there were tail/marker light clusters fitted through much of the period from around 1986 - 2013 so I have those options done too!!

My trial 1974 version is currently in paint, the 1990 versions printed and the others are slowly coming through (20 hours per print so when it doesn't work I lose a whole day!!)

IMG_1722.jpeg.02f6a7839bbf91e742128af5c2d053ca.jpeg

• Like 4

I think the roof fairing just behind the cab will be best made from paper or card and stuck in place. Depending on the year, they sometimes have the windows replaced with grills and sometimes don't I think currently they are replaced - that's how I modelled it but easy enough to do either!

image.png.78e2585f19fcad04b26a146c1c9d7057.png

• Like 1

Well, the added benefit of not doing the cabs is it fits on the smaller printer so I didn’t have to wait for Mentor! A mere 9 hours to print this. I had translucent resin in it so that’s not ideal for seeing the detail, but, it came out very well

IMG_1727.jpeg.0e6e5b7d87df97e67090a49965efcfc0.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg.275e8e67d33cd081d3e47cf47f49749e.jpeg

I need to stretch it by about 2mm which will also give some cutting/finishing tolerance.

the one concern I have is if the body will bow over time - there’s no bracing so I might have to think about a way to hold the centre to the chassis…

• Like 3

All my coach models are designed so that the body “locks” into a chassis - or are single piece - to combat any distortion that happens over time. I am concerned that as the 73 is an open shell it may distort. I am being asked if I will sell the prints but because of this risk I am hesitant to do that. I am considering if another option is to print the entire roof and then the side grills/louvres separately so that an existing shell does form the “skeleton” - back to how I was doing it in earlier posts.

I will finish a test model and we can see if it distorts!!

• Like 1