Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

turntable ideas.

iggl3p1ggle

Hi Everyone!

First time poster so please be gentle 🤣

I'll start by saying yes, I know my layout isn't prototypical or accurate. And yes, I used set-track spacing with flexitrack and peco insulfrog points. (perfectionists look away now!)

My layout is meant to be a loose yet somewhat believable representation of somewhere on the Eastern Region, late 50s - early 70's. Mostly mid 60's which allows for lovely green diesels too. Occasionally I venture into BR blue territory.

I've been building my layout for some time now, and I planned for a turntable from the start, but only ever wanted to use it just to turn locos, instead of the "hand of god". I am aware turntables were at terminus stations or MPD's so what I have is not correct in any way.

I've finally installed it, and I love it. However I have a little bit of free space and I'm wondering whether to add some extra points of interest that would tie the turntable in a little more. For example, it could be a loco exchange / short term stabling or a very small servicing area for water, coal or diesel fuel. I'd imagine the MPD would be elsewhere.

Or do I keep it simple and leave as it is or add one or two sidings?

I have attached a few pics, track plan as well. The photo with the 2 sidings just below the turntable was just an idea, it has not been laid. (Also, "platform 3" (the one with nothing on it) may be removed and become a siding. )

Your suggestions are welcome :-) thanks

PXL_20230725_103646628.jpg

PXL_20230725_101137722.jpg

PXL_20230725_101122002.jpg

PXL_20230725_095829806.jpg

layout2023.jpg

• Like 4

Great work - love the crowded streets! I don’t know much about turntables but would definitely build a ‘scene’ around it. I know that many people are not keen on insulfrog points but I use them and up to now haven’t had a problem - even my 0-4-0s crawl through them. However, only time will tell if problems develop. Hopefully not.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Your layout looks great fun. 

I'm thinking you could put a 2 road engine shed off the turntable to occupy the space "due south" of it? You'd need to lift one of the 2 sidings shown in the last photo though; the ones not in your track plan.

That would also act as a view blocker, meaning it'd break up the tail chaser aspect of the layout. 

Cheers. Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, iggl3p1ggle said:

I know my layout isn't prototypical or accurate. And yes, I used set-track spacing with flexitrack and peco insulfrog points. (perfectionists look away now!)

None of which makes your efforts any less valid that anyone else's. From looking at the photos you are modelling to a good standard and shouldn't think that your efforts aren't up to scratch. There is a lot to be said for a Freezeresque style layout and although considered a little "old school" now that doesn't make it any less enjoyable than other style of layout.

Regards Lez.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1