RMweb

Scottish Region Class 117s

aictosphotos

As a fan of the Class 117 going back to working the NVR one as a trainee guard many years ago, I've read the Wikipedia article which states their final days in Scotland were used on the Edinburgh - Perth, Cowdenbeath and Markinch services via the Forth Bridge however the article states that they did this until 12th January 1998 when Class 156s replaced them BUT the article than goes on to say the final day of Class 117 operations was 27th November 1999.

So was the former date mentioned actually the last time they were in passenger service and if so what did Scotrail (National Express) do with them for nearly 23 months if the latter day was the last day of operations?

With that being said, the website in the link here has a few photos which are dated 10th February 1999 clearly showing that Scotrail were still using the fleet in their twillight years.

As does the Scot-Rail website here so can I assume that the fleet stayed in passenger operation right up to 27th Nov 1999? 

So anyone more clued up than me who explain who's actually accurate here please?

Edited by aictosphotos

On 12/08/2023 at 20:53, aictosphotos said:

As a fan of the Class 117 going back to working the NVR one as a trainee guard many years ago, I've read the Wikipedia article which states their final days in Scotland were used on the Edinburgh - Perth, Cowdenbeath and Markinch services via the Forth Bridge however the article states that they did this until 12th January 1998 when Class 156s replaced them BUT the article than goes on to say the final day of Class 117 operations was 27th November 1999.

So was the former date mentioned actually the last time they were in passenger service and if so what did Scotrail (National Express) do with them for nearly 23 months if the latter day was the last day of operations?

With that being said, the website in the link here has a few photos which are dated 10th February 1999 clearly showing that Scotrail were still using the fleet in their twillight years.

As does the Scot-Rail website here so can I assume that the fleet stayed in passenger operation right up to 27th Nov 1999? 

So anyone more clued up than me who explain who's actually accurate here please?

They were used until late-1999. The introduction of the 170s and the September timetable change enabled their final withdrawal through cascading.

Most were actually replaced by 150s/158s rather than 156s, which remained uncommon in the Fife area - there was a peak Kirkcaldy stopper which was booked 156 but everything else booked 150 or 158 AFAIK.

Later, the one of the subsequent batchsles of 170s (the units numbered 450-461) enabled the withdrawal of the 150s (which went to Wales IIRC) and the Fife/Perth local services became the 158/170 mix they remain to this day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From https://railcar.co.uk/type/class-117/operations

Scotland

The Scottish Region would receive sets in 1993 allocated to Haymarket depot. These would operate the Fife Circle services, from Edinburgh to Edinburgh via Dunfermline/Kirkcaldy in peak periods only, and a single run to Perth.

The Open Golf Championship held in Carnoustie in July 1999 saw 117s work special trains for the event. Noted workings were on Friday the 16th when sets 306/313 worked the 16:47 Carnoustie to Edinburgh, on the Saturday the 08:30 from Edinburgh was 301/311, the 09:00 313/306, and the 09:15 was 308, all to Carnoustie. The normal 117 diagrams on the Fife Circle were covered by 158s.

They were not favoured by commuters, and late in 1999 they were reduced to 2-car sets. Soon after, once the arrival of the 170s allowed cascading of Sprinters they were taken out of use at very short notice - the last booked working on the 28th November was worked by a Sprinter. They were sent to store at Perth during the remainder of thier lease from Angel Train Contracts and suffered some vandalism there. They moved south in March 2000 to another period in store at MoD Shoeburyness.

• Like 1