Edinburgh Trams Extension to Leith and Newhaven

Interesting video, Lewis did well but unfortunately his lack of knowledge of Leith, of which Edinburgh is a suburb, and the history of Edinburgh trams means that he has make a number of errors.  However it is still a good entertaining  video.

Roddy

• Informative/Useful 1

Nice comment Roddy, guessing tongue in cheek too; the boundary is technically part of the way up the Walk so video incorrect 

If I recall my history Boundary Bar had mark on floor & due to different licensing laws everyone decamped the the Leith part of the bar to continue to imbibe. 

Used even to be different pavement width too. 

Just touches on “Pilrig Muddle” due to independence of Edinburgh/Leith 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DOCJACOB said:

Just touches on “Pilrig Muddle” due to independence of Edinburgh/Leith 

Leith had modern electric trams whilst Edinburgh had old fashioned cable trams, the muddle was because passengers had to get off one tram and get on another at Pilrig Street as they could not run on each others system.

Roddy

Ps I am being a bit tongue in cheek, but I am a proud Leither.

Sorry to say Morningside, Royal High School,  Merchiston & finally Edinburgh University for me. 

Saw the light, left & have lived rural Lincolnshire for last 30+ years. 

Not been to Harburn Hobbies for years (even recall the original shop at bottom of Walk) & last remember had the nameplate for Meld above the counter. 

Occasional trips North bring back memories though such a changed city. 

If you do get the opportunity to visit Harburn Hobbies, you won't be disappointed.  The cable car may not be in the window but the Meld nameplate is above the counter and Gill, and sometimes Bob, are still serving customers after 60 years.

Roddy

• 1 month later...