Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Glencoe 00 scale 1965-1985

Glencoe Model Railway

Just over 2 years ago I finally got serious about a layout that would test my skills. An interest in all things West Highland (inc C&O) meant that the region was straightforward, but what to do? The space I had didn’t allow for a massive effort but I did have 3 Tim Horn baseboard kits already built. 

What follows is a roller coaster of build, rebuild, extend, rebuild, extend etc, right up to current day! 

The back story is that the Ballachulish branch was extended to Glencoe village in an attempt to capture some of the Aluminium traffic from Kinlochleven plus a grand but ill fated attempt to run a line through the glen towards Bridge of Orchy. At the same time, the NB extended the line down past Corran, over Loch Leven and joined on with the C&O at site of the current road bridge, thus creating a triangle. 

Trains operate to both Oban and Fort William in both eras (1965-70 and 1983-86) with enough suitable traction now available. 

Below is a selection of progress shots up till about a month ago, when the latest rebuild started! I’ll deal with that in subsequent posts.  

Please be kind, it’s still a massive work in progress and I do suffer from large blocks of inactivity due to my work and motivation levels! 

IMG_3874.jpeg

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4675.jpeg

IMG_4844.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_6045.jpeg

IMG_6047.jpeg

IMG_6059.jpeg

IMG_6101.jpeg

IMG_6138.jpeg

IMG_6145.jpeg

IMG_6205.jpeg

IMG_6206.jpeg

IMG_6246.jpeg

IMG_6312.jpeg

IMG_6501.jpeg

IMG_6554.jpeg

IMG_6581.jpeg

IMG_6682.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg

IMG_6841.jpeg

IMG_6842.jpeg

IMG_6840.jpeg

IMG_6938.jpeg

IMG_7347.jpeg

IMG_7350.jpeg

• Like 15

So, about a month ago, I really struggled with mental block on the layout. It was not going as I had hoped and I was losing interest rapidly. Not sure what happened but I realised that if I changed the backscene, I could gain quite a bit of extra scenic space. 

Well, it was out with the multi tool, chisel and handsaw and what you see below is a work in progress to rebuild the back area of the layout into a more spacious area. Long way to go, but I finally have some direction again. 

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0017.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_0028.jpeg

IMG_0030.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

IMG_0057.jpeg

• Like 8

Some more of the technical stuff - Glencoe measures 9ft by 2’ 6” on the main bit (the quarry siding is about 3ft by 4 inches) and has a 4ft sector plate at the end. It’s all powered by a Digitrax Super Chief set and point control is with Tortoise point machines (operated with DPDT switches). I have a couple of Dapol semaphore signals worked from a TrainTech controller but the plan is to fit something a bit better in the long term. It does give a bit of play value though. 

Stock is the usual mix of stuff but I have recently started building approx 20

wagon kits for both layouts. 

• Like 2

Kind of you to say that. What I’ve come to accept is that there were some parts of the scenery which I could have done better. For example, the area in the foreground was done after the previous version of the back hill and it showed. I used better materials and the colours are more subtle. Hopefully this new section will take on what I’ve learned so far. There is also a severe lack of trees on the layout, but not huge amount of space to fit them. This expansion should address that going forward 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I like your backstory and look forward to seeing  how the layout now develops. I agree with others, the original layout looked very good too.

As for mental blocks and feeling things aren’t quite right - you aren’t alone in that.  I think every \railway modeller goes through feelings like that at some point.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of progress today on the new scenic section. I’ve filled in the last piece of Celotex and covered the whole lot with plaster bandages. Once these dry later, I’ll pop back out to the shed and give it a quick coat of brown paint. Then tomorrow I hope to add the next level of ground on the right hand side of the scene. 

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

• Like 3

Today didn’t quite go to plan but so still managed a little bit of time in the shed. Started adding some relief to the hillside and gave it a quick coat of scatter, more just to see what the contours look like. Plonked the cottages back on but soon realised that I probably need another 2 pairs for a decent representation. 

Still a very long way to go but looks like the mojo is coming back. 

IMG_0128.jpeg

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0130.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...