Double slip crossover interlocking

blueeighties

I'm installing a double slip on a layout, switching is via DCC Concepts Cobalt motors. Wiring these up for blade and frog switching is very easy.

However.

I'm thinking it would be useful to have some electrical interlocking, also incorporating stop signals to prevent conflicting movements. Has anyone ever attempted this?

You don't say which type of Cobalts but I'm going to assume that they are IP Digitals and you are running them from your track bus.

If you are controlling them with dcc then the easiest way is to simply give both the same address so that they throw simultaneously.   If not then there are wiring diagrams on the DCC Concepts website  showing how to wire interlocking if you are using pushbuttons. 

If you are running from the track bus then that will leave S2L/C/R available to power led signals.  Just take a 12v dc feed to S2C and feed out to your signals from S2L and S2R.  Check to see if your signals are common anode (+) or common cathode (-) to see whether you wire + or - to S2C.   If you are powering from an accessory bus then you'll need the S2 connections for your frog switching so won't be able to use them for powering signals. 

Edited by jamesed

On 27/08/2023 at 19:54, jamesed said:

You don't say which type of Cobalts but I'm going to assume that they are IP Digitals and you are running them from your track bus.

If you are controlling them with dcc then the easiest way is to simply give both the same address so that they throw simultaneously.   If not then there are wiring diagrams on the DCC Concepts website  showing how to wire interlocking if you are using pushbuttons. 

If you are running from the track bus then that will leave S2L/C/R available to power led signals.  Just take a 12v dc feed to S2C and feed out to your signals from S2L and S2R.  Check to see if your signals are common anode (+) or common cathode (-) to see whether you wire + or - to S2C.   If you are powering from an accessory bus then you'll need the S2 connections for your frog switching so won't be able to use them for powering signals. 

The OP is using a double slip - they need to to have two discrete addresses to control a double slip correctly.

The simplest way to de-mystify a double slip is to draw it out longhand - as two points tiebar to tiebar.

Then work out the respective frog and switching diagrams as two individual points.

Then overlay the two points on top of each other and connect accordingly.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1