Topography Dilemma - Due to bad planning!

Moley48

Hi all,

We have come to a stop on our layout and really need some help regarding the making of a believable scene on a certain area of the layout. The area in question has a double mainline that passes very low over a single track (branch line). There is also the heritage line which is nearby but is not really of concern. 

I guess I'm looking to find somewhere in real life that we can semi-replicate that has the two mains over a very low brick/stone tunnel mouth. I'm half expecting I need to make a mess and cut the baseboard for the branchline and set it lower but I'm hoping someone might have a better solutions. 

PS. I noticed Heaton Lodge has something similar to this but at an acute angle. Our main lines pass straight across the branch at almost right angles.

Thanks in advance.

David

• RMweb Gold

You'd be more likely to find a girder bridge than a stone tunnel, if it's that low. 

Hopefully these will work:

Four over one: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2997907,-0.7320211,193m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu (Farnborough)

Two over two: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2593549,-2.208097,192m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu (Westbury)

Two over one, stone: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.3488291,-4.7061759,3a,60y,341.14h,90.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3BOTNQdq8cwPn8Lv5W1l7g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu (Par)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Carry the main lines over the branch on a bridge and set the tunnel mouth back a few scale yards behind the bridge with a short cutting between the two.  If you check out EverardJunction's Autumn 23 update on Youtoube you can see where he's done this with the main line on an embankment in front of rising ground and it is very convincing.

• Thanks 1

^^^

I was about to say the same, it’s far more likely, although I bet somewhere there is an example of a track crossing almost directly above a tunnel mouth …….. yep, thought of one as I was typing …… where various bits of goods line and the NLR cross the GNR, as starred in The Ladykillers.

IMG_2253.jpeg.e2186420eb3f58e986affc7926f601b8.jpeg

IMG_2254.jpeg.567546e98d09f7f2776f3391b3339077.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

Thankyou everyone for all the great info. Although I really didn't explain things very well.

A girder would have been a sensible solution and we have two girders where the chord passes over the branch however, the idea with the branch on our layout is to have single or multiple units running under automation from one terminus, off to two separate fictitious locations both of which are hiding the trains for x amount of time. 

Anyway, this is what I decided to do today. My dad is happy enough with it which is all that matters. I just didn't like have the mains so close to the top of the tunnel. There will be a removable hill to allow access to the track in the corner if needed.

IMG_20230928_185012.jpg

IMG_20230928_194857.jpg

Edited by Moley48
  • Like 1

If you do something in that corner to disguise the fact that the main line curves across the top of the tunnel, it should look alright. A row of trees if rural, or houses if urban maybe. You could even take the hill higher and have the tracks run in a hidden trench below the horizon, although you’d need to be careful about access, otherwise only Mr Tickle will be able to correct derailments.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

If you do something in that corner to disguise the fact that the main line curves across the top of the tunnel, it should look alright. A row of trees if rural, or houses if urban maybe. You could even take the hill higher and have the tracks run in a hidden trench below the horizon, although you’d need to be careful about access, otherwise only Mr Tickle will be able to correct derailments.

That is my thinking too going with the above design. 

Atleast we can move on now. Thanks 

The access looks pretty dire,  not as bad as my 5ft or so water pipe tunnel under the garden but getting there. I would fit the tunnel mouth in slots or secure it by magnets to leave an arm size hole when its removed.    Paint the area inside the tunnel black up to the line of shadow, that looks real effective and costs about £1 for some black poster paint from Poundland.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DCB said:

The access looks pretty dire,  not as bad as my 5ft or so water pipe tunnel under the garden but getting there. I would fit the tunnel mouth in slots or secure it by magnets to leave an arm size hole when its removed.    Paint the area inside the tunnel black up to the line of shadow, that looks real effective and costs about £1 for some black poster paint from Poundland.

The inside of the tunnel is brickwork to 6-8inches deep. 

The rearmost section of track will be accessible by a removable top section of hill/scenic.   Well, that is the plan at the moment.