Suggestions please for a good paint colour to represent earth/groundwork

I have created a rough groundwork using kitty litter. It is designed to represent 'rough ground' where an old marshalling yard may have been in the past - long since abandoned.

I painted it with Revell acrylic paint #87 - dark earth - and it came out a realistic looking darkish brown as shown in the (1) area. But it needed touching up and so I've bought more of the same paint and applied it over the top and it's dried  different colour - far greyer - as shown in the (2) zone and I don't like it as much.

I think this photo shows the difference - and I have stirred the paint very well. Can anyone please suggest a good, easily obtainable, paint to represent 'groundwork'?

m                                       IMG_20231004_181606.jpg.04533eed48c57b48f0f06429e7459c5e.jpg

• RMweb Premium

B&Q can do a colour match from almost anything and make up a sample pot of paint. We once got paint to match one of  my son’s T shirts. 

If you can dig up a bit of the right coloured kitty litter then you should be able to take it to them and get a reasonable match. 

9 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Go to your local B&M.  In their household range they have emulsion, mocha.  Its perfect.

1 hour ago, Silly Moo said:

B&Q can do a colour match from almost anything and make up a sample pot of paint. We once got paint to match one of  my son’s T shirts. 

Many thanks for your comments - I will be dealing with this issue today.  🙂