Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Post 1969 green SYE?

w124bob

I had D1698 in GSYP with data panels for haulage Exeter to Paignton on 5/7/69, I have a photo somewhere I'll see if I can find it. I also saw D1756 at Exeter on 6/9/69, AFAIK the WR's last GSYP Class 47, I can't recall if it had data panels but by that date it certainly should have done.

The last two examples which lasted well into 1970 were D1736 and D1744, these must have had the panels.

Found it - D1698 on Exeter Stabling Point, 5th July 1969, with D1757 in the background (tried to post this last night but 'the computer said no' - sadly it won the ensuing battle of wits!)

PICT0068.JPG.33508708813734f9bc4633cf43c2ca14.JPG

Remarkably I'd got to Exeter from Paignton behind another GSYP loco, D854 'Tiger' which was one of the last few Warships still running in green livery (by then just D833/45/52/54 plus D810 in GFYE). Haulage behind a GSYP Brush 4 was quite an achievement as I saw very few in this condition (half a dozen?) and this is my only photo of one - however my notes from that day indicate that another was spotted at Newton Abbot while returning to Paignton behind D1698 - none other than D1616!

Also seen at NA on the outward trip were 1686 and 1895 in very clean GFYE livery with numbers in the later Rail Alphabet style - this was the first time I'd seen this and these two were parked end-to-end. Thanks to Crewe's reluctance to paint Class 47s blue there would be many, many more like this, 1698 being amongst them. 

Not long after arriving at Paignton by car blue-liveried D145 turned up - this was my first encounter with a Class 46. It would later return through Exeter piloted by D827 'Kelly'. Little did I know that just before that year expired I'd see one at my home station of Truro, heading for Penzance........but this is neither a Warship nor Class 46 thread so.........🤐

Back on topic I must just add this little story. I mentioned that D1736 and D1744 were the last two running in GSYP livery well into 1970. On 27th July that year a mate and I travelled from Reading to Crewe to visit the Works and in the Birmingham area we passed D1736 in a goods yard. Many hours later on the return journey and hanging out of a window it appeared to be still there - but upon passing it we discovered it was D1744! I mean................what were the chances??!!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1