Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Old Mill Wharf

yaxxbarl

I thought, rather than clogging up 'What's on my workbench' it's about time I had a topic of my own - and this will be for the little layout I'm building which is inspired by Peak District railways such as the Cromford and High Peak and also the canals around my local area New Mills, hence the name being a bit of a play on that.

It's going to be a fairly simple 'Cameo' sized affair based around a small canalside yard with a couple of sidings and through running to a coal yard, primarily LMS or BR(M) but also capable of handling some of the more ecelctic parts of my motive power roster.

The Austerity I'm working on, 68012, is intended for this and it'll go with D2383, both of which worked on the C&HP. 

• Like 10

14 hours ago, bécasse said:

CromfordWharf(1R).jpg.a49477810507701cb27588589457ba25.jpgCromfordWharf(2R).jpg.d571ac440401bb009476d8f358d338c0.jpgA couple of photographs that I took at Cromford Wharf in 1982 which might just be helpful even though the colour has gone off a bit.

Yes - I'm familiar with the Wharf shed, indeed you can actually stay in it. I hired it for a Rambling group's weekend trip a few years back.

The shed, or something very similar is what I envisage as a view blocker at one end of the scene to be modelled, at the other end trains emerge from behind a warehouse that used to be canal-served but is now rail served with some other old warehouses/factories at the back.

John.

• Like 3

So here is a sketch of the trackplan I have in mind - very simple with a mill/warehouse as a view blocker at one end with the goods shed at the other.

20231024_165533.jpg.e67e16ca45dc8392d771da9ba2dad89b.jpg

Staging will be a two road sector plate at one end and a headshunt/fiddlestick on which coal or stone wagons can be left until they return unloaded. 

If there's room I'll probably put a crane in on the yard, originally for transhipment between canal barges and wagons, but now mainly used by road traffic.

The small stub siding will largely be somewhere for brake vans or an occasional open.

Finally, the warehouse on the left used to handle mainly canal traffic, nowadays it is rail connected and a dummy end of siding is behind it 

Scenically it'll be presented like a picture frame with a curved backscene, proscenium arch for LED strip lighting and 'wings' either side to help hide the ends.

Cheers,

John

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Progress has been slow on the layout itself, as time has been taken up on a couple of other projects - one of which has been my EFE J94 Austerity conversion to make 68012, one of the stalwarts of the final years of the line, and it is now almost finished...

20240216_143446.jpg.87c69d4e897820408b6eac4ad0da512d.jpg

20240216_143503.jpg.7df525de96bccdb9427eb689cc61a5bb.jpg

Couplings need adding, and coal needs adding in the bunker, before decisions are made on weathering.

The real thing also had weatherboards added to the cabside, current idea is that they'll be fabricated from microstrip.

Edited by yaxxbarl
  • Like 9